ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Peavey Valverb

12/6/1999 5:03 PM
John DeLuca
email
Peavey Valverb
Hi,  
I have a Valverb (8 knob model). Decent sounding, but there is a noticeable drop off in the volume when the trem circuit is engaged. Anyone have similar experience? If so is there a fix?  

Thanks,  
John  

12/12/1999 6:12 AM
John DeLuca
Hi,  

Well I had hoped to find some info. On Harmony Central a reviewer said that a tech fixed the drop in trem volume, but he couldn't remember what he did.  
So, I look for some help with a drop off in output volume when I engage the tremelo. Has anyone else noticied this and fixed it, somehow?  

Thanks,  
jd

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/13/1999 12:25 PM
Nyquist
email

Mine did that as well. I changed the LDR (Peavey ref 70240101) on one of Peavey's customer service guys advice.  
The volume doesn't drop anymore!  

Be carefull, it's performance are very easily affected by temperature so don't use a too hot iron.

12/13/1999 3:33 PM
John DeLuca
Hi,  

Sorry, I'm a bit of a novice. Could you explain for me. I really appreciate it!! Thanks a bunch.  

12/13/1999 5:03 PM
Nyquist
email

No problem!  

The LDR is a Light Dependant Resistor. The light is driven by the oscilator of the tremolo and the resistor is in the signal path. Its value changes according to the light pulses and attenuates therefore the signal following a patern determined by the oscilator.  
Now, because the LDR is sensitive to heat, it happens that the value of the resistor part (or the quality of its response to light) drifts when the LDR is soldered to the board, creating a loss in volume when the oscilator drives the LDR.  
You only need to change it but make sure you don't overheat it with your soldering iron. I don't know it's commercial or original reference but you certainly can get it from Peavey with the ref I gave you in my last post.  

Cheers!

12/13/1999 5:48 PM
John DeLuca
email

Nyquist,  

Thank you very much!!  

Back at you!  

jd

12/14/1999 11:14 AM
Nyquist
email

Anytime!