ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

MuTron C200 Vol/Wah - DEAD "optos"

8/2/1999 6:43 PM
Sean McDaniel
email
MuTron C200 Vol/Wah - DEAD "optos"
I am a newbie on a quest to fix my MuTron C200 Vol/Wah.  

It was diagnosed by an electronic fixin' friend as having dead "optos". He said he would try to find some replacements.... That was a year+ ago. So I am on a quest to find the "optos" myself or build em from scratch.  

Does anyone know where I can find these parts? Or, does anyone know how I (the newbie) can build/repair the ones I already have? I got a schematic, but I need a little hand-holding. Thanks  

8/2/1999 9:40 PM
CJ Landry
email

I have the schematic for the vol/wah at the house and I will look it up tonight or real soon. The last time I worked on one of these the opto device, I think, is a phototransistor type. The LED portion is one one side of the blade mounted on the pedal and the other side is a phototransistor.  

I will look tonight and report back.  

CJ

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/3/1999 5:25 AM
Charlie
email

the pedal "expression" controls the current through the phototransistor(s)... the way you describe it CJ, it sounds like there a slit in the "blade" that is wide at one end and narrow at the other, mechanically varying light to the sensor... I imagine it would be simpler to vary the current through the diode to control LED brightness  

probably only one side is bad (the photodiode/transistor sensor) and maybe it's the only thing that needs to be replaced - LEDs are typically pretty robust

Page 1 of 1