ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Anyone have any opinions on EMG select PU's?

1/14/1999 10:55 PM
Rob
email
Anyone have any opinions on EMG select PU's?
I've just made a guitar(strat/tele), and I got some EMG Select pickups for it, which, to me sound a little lifeless by themselves. If i put it through some effects (phaser, treble booster) they sound pretty good, but not really by themselves. Any opinions or suggestions?  

Rob

1/15/1999 12:52 PM
Steve M.
email

Rob,  

I had a set of EMG Select single coils in an Ibanez Roadstar about 10 years ago, and I thought they sounded bad no matter what I did to them. They are quiet, but they have almost no output even when really close to the strings (or anywhere in between). I agree with your assessment, they are pretty lifeless, and I couldn't get a good sound out of them even with pedals. Compared to "real" EMGs, the Selects are really substandard. I've tried a lot of different PUs in my frankenstrat guitars, EMG, Actodyne-Lace, Seymour Duncan, Evans, Schechter, and others but I always come back to the Duncans. I haven't tried any of the boutique single coils such as Fralin, Barden, or Van Zandt so I can't comment on those.  

My suggestion would be to get rid of the Selects and get a set of anything else, as it will be a vast improvement.  

If cost is a consideration, you might try Carvin PUs, which I haven't tried personally, but I know people who have. Supposedly, they aren't great, but they're not bad and they'd probably be an improvement.  

Also, most of the PUs I've bought have been used, so I saved substantially over buying new.  

As always YMMV.  

Regards,  

Steve

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/18/1999 4:36 PM
Rob
email

thanks, i'll probably get something else (when i have some money) everyone says that duncans are the best, so i might have to invest in some.

1/19/1999 10:56 PM
Steve, again
Website
email

Rob:  

SD only makes about 40 different pickups for strats and teles so you might want to think about which ones you want to get while saving up your pennies...  

What kind of music do you play and who is your favorite guitarist (tonewise, that is). Maybe we can direct you towards an appropriate set of SD's.  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. The EMG Selects aren't active, are they? (If they were active they'd have a battery.) Even the salesmen tell me that they are pure junk...

1/20/1999 7:04 AM
Steve (the other one)
email

Hi all,  

In addition, Seymour Duncan has a replacement policy (or did, you might check their website) that allows you to exchange pickups in a certain period of time if you don't like them.  

I've had great luck with their customer service department, I called up to buy a set of white covers for my set of Hot Stack Strat PUs, and they sent them to me for free.  

Steve

1/20/1999 11:04 PM
Steve A.
Website
email

Steve M:  

I really hate to put in a good word for Guitar Center at the expense of their local competition, but they usually have a pretty big selection of SD pickups in stock so that you can make a direct exchange within the 21 day period (rather than have to send them in to SD and have to wait for another set). This may not be true for all of the GC's, but when I bought my last set of pickups there, I was told that I could return them for a cash refund within 30 days (like most of their other merchandise). Of course, you'd have to keep them "as new"- don't cut the leads short or add shielding or potting. It's hard to beat an exchange policy like that (which they can afford to do because of their volume).  

Steve Ahola

1/21/1999 8:17 AM
Steve M.
email

Steve A.,  

I hear you on the Guitar Center, they just put in one fairly close to my house here in Denver. (Along with a Musician's Friend, a Music Go Round, and a couple of Prosound stores, a local store that has a "big chain" feel to it.) I generally avoid places like that for what they do to the little guy, but sometimes it is hard to beat that kind of a deal. Just out of curiosity, have you ever taken them up on their policy? I've heard that they can be a pain in the a** to deal with sometimes.  

Steve M.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>