ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Anyone have any opinions on EMG select PU's?

1/21/1999 2:56 PM
Doc
email
Re: Anyone have any opinions on EMG select PU's?
Rob:  

Try to answer Steve A's question regarding the sound you think you're after. There are so many pickups available today, mostly good ones, but they all sound slightly different. Even the same pickup can sound different in a different guitar.  

There are probably enough folks who frequent this site that, collectively have sampled many of the available pickups and could offer some direct suggestions if they had a better idea what kind of guitar sound you'd prefer to emulate. Whether or not your playing environment is subject to hum may also matter.  

Many folks are recommending Duncan pickups, and I have some SD's that I like plus others I've tried and don't prefer. DiMarzio makes some good-sounding pickups, too. I've been very pleased with some of their offerings.

1/22/1999 5:28 AM
Rob
email

Sorry everyone, i've been offline for a few days so i haven't been able to keep up. in terms of the tone i like, blues is the way to go. (actually, i'm a bass player - i made a bass before this guitar, in which i put some real emg actives - they're fantastic)  

i'm not really sure how else to put it. another thing, i live in australia, so these big american guitar shops are useless to me. i can get all the big brands of pickups here, but they're expensive.  

thanks for your help.

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/22/1999 7:27 AM
Steve M.
email

Rob,  

I remember hearing about a guy in your own back yard who makes humbucking pickups in a single coil sized case (yeah, right, how many times have we heard that before? :) I've never heard them, or even seen a set but I remember reading that this guy had finally nailed the single coil sound in a humbucking pickup. Maybe someone else here on the Ampage knows more than I do.  

Stever

1/19/1999 9:03 PM
Kevin B
email

Adequate at best. I have a set in my Kramer and I have never liked them. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Gibson humbucker a few years ago, but I just moved that to another guitar, so the Select humbuker is back in. Frankly I don't even use the guitar right now for that reason. If you can get them used, I would do like Steve said. I don't think pickups really go bad (unless really old or poorly made), so used should be a good route for cost.  

I have only bought two other kinds of pickups, a Seymour Duncan '59 humbucker and the Gibson 498T humbucker (both for a Les Paul copy). The Gibson is my favorite of the two. From what I have heard/read/seen, Duncans are the way to go.

1/22/1999 5:23 PM
60's relic
email

That Aussie pickup maker is Kinman Guitar Electrix........www.kinman.com/  

Success...........the relic

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 2