ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Panasonic BBD Spec sheets

12/10/1998 1:05 PM
Mike I
email
Panasonic BBD Spec sheets
Hello,  
The data for all of the Panasonic/Matsushita BBD chips can be downloaded as pdf files from http://www.mec.panasonic.co.jp . Select "english" (unless you can read Japanese), then select "semiconductor" and then "catalog". This gets you to "BBD's for Audio".

12/11/1998 7:41 AM
Mark Hammer
email

Thanks for the tip Mike. I've been searching for this stuff for ages, and never lucked into the right spot.  

Visitors to that site will also note the data sheet for the MN3011, the heart of the legendary A/DA-STD-1 (that stands for Stereo Tapped Delay, buddy, NOT sexually transmitted disease).  

The MN3011 is a 3000-stage+ BBD with assorted "taps" in the sequence so that delays of multiple length can be combined at the output mixer stage. Naturally, the intended use was for analog reverberation (rather than just discrete echoes). A/DA came up with a clever idea and used it for generating multiple concurrent flange/chorus FX, with the output from each of the 6 taps assignable to the left or right channel (or mono). Even 10 seconds of shallow thinking will leave you with your eyes glazed over by a universe of possibilities for FX generation and design.  

Unfortunately, the chip costs a bundle (about $50US) and is not widely available.  

While sifting through the site, however, I found another chip numbered the MN3214. This is one of their 5-volt series of BBD chips (just like the MN3207 is). Although it does not have as many stages as the MN3011 (<2000), it too has multiple taps (5), and is intended for analog reverberation. It also uses the same MN3101 or 3102 clock chip as the rest of the MN3xxx series.  

Chances are that this chip provides every bit as much flexibility in design as the MN3011, and is a good deal cheaper. I would expect that availability would be no worse than the 3011, and possibly better. The short delay length inherent in the chip precludes use for longer echoes, but the slapback, chorus, double-tracking, and flanging possibilities are immense.  

Happy exploring, and thanks again, Mike.

Monday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/14/1998 12:40 AM
Preben Hansen
email

Hello Mike.  

I have been on the Panasonic site many times to se if these spec's was there. But now they are!  
Thanks for the tip !!  
Regards Preben.

12/15/1998 8:55 AM
John J.
Thanks for the Enlightenment Mike I. -----------It's Quite perplexing without those Data Sheets. The MN3xxx Series have some interesting qualities in there designs. I wonder if anyone has any circuit schematics for there use in musical effects of any type. That are readily accessible on the WEB. SURF's UP!

12/22/1998 3:29 AM
Preben Hansen
email

Hello again.  
I have visited the Panasonic site to se if I could find the data on the MN3002 used in the well known BOSS CE-1.  
The only thing I coudl find was, that this chip is out of production. Does any of you guru'es out there have any information on this chip?  
How many buckets?  
Clock freq.?  
Thanks in advance, Preben

12/22/1998 12:01 PM
John J.
Not I, Preben Hansen,  

But if it is a Panasonic I.C.. Then they should have the inquired information you need. Perhaps E-Mailing or sending them a hard copy request. Might produce some results.  

Across the Oceans there is no boundaries as you look through the optic eye.

12/22/1998 2:06 PM
moocow
1) The MN3002 has 512 stages.  

2) The relationship between time delay and clock frequency is given by:  

td = N/(2*fcp)  

where  

td = delay time  
N = number of stages  
fcp = clock pulse frequency  

The recommended clock frequency is between 10kHz to 200kHz. The MN3002 has 512 stages, so the available delay time is between 1.28 and 25.6 mS.  

3) Digi-Key has a reprint of the Panasonic BBD Series data book. It costs about $3.50 and has data on all of the MN3000 and MN3200 series bucket-brigade devices. I got my copy over four years ago, but I think they still have it.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>