ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Wah Phasor! Who Made One?

8/27/1998 6:57 AM
CJ Landry
email
Wah Phasor! Who Made One?
Does anyone know if there is such a pedal?  
I had this kid (the musician type, gosh they are pushy! :-D ) tell me he has seen one and I could not for the life of me think of who made one. He said Regal and then I thought of the food distributor company.  
Hey maybe they made Vienna Sausage too?  

Is this kid right, because he had me scratching my head??????  

CJ Landry

8/27/1998 8:41 AM
Don Symes
email

Sounds to me like an old Morley thing. They did some pretty bizzarre combinations.

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/27/1998 9:17 AM
moocow
Maybe it was the Dunlop Roto-Vibe, which looks like a wah, but sounds like a phasor.  

Also, Morley made a vibrato pedal with a rotating tuna can filled with a mysterious oil. There's been some discussion about it on this board and it was mentioned in a GP article a few years ago. It also looked something like a wah.  

Be patient with these kid musicians. They come up with some pretty wild ideas which at first may seem ridiculous, but sometimes turn out to lead to something useful. Their advantage is that they don't know what "can't" be done.

8/27/1998 11:36 AM
CJ Landry
email

Morley, maybe??  
I have worked on a lot of pedals and Morley may have something similar.  
I also was thinking that DeArmond may of done something similar.  

I was only loking about the kid musician. Actually they make up a big part of my business and have some really wild imaginations in regards to different effects tricks and ideas. I have learned lots from them.  

CJ Landry

8/27/1998 11:49 AM
GFR
email

I have a schematic of such a thing. You have a phaser/notch switch. When in wha mode it's a bandpass filter with the center frequency controled by the pedal. In phaser mode the filter becomes a notch and the notch frequency is controled by the pedal. It's a single notch phaser, like a MXR 45.  
The filter is a state variable kind with opamps. You need a dual pot. I'm buying a new scanner saturday, so by monday I hope I can post it to you.  

GFR

8/27/1998 12:05 PM
CJ Landry
email

I would be very interested, Thank you GFR!

8/29/1998 1:10 PM
Mark Hammer
Actually, I've seen a number of odd little wah-type pedals by the Regal company so this may not be that farfetched. Indeed, I think it was Regal who put out one of those wahs with a siren and surf sound option. Near as I can tell, Regal was Japan through and through, but then I'm always surprised by how many of these things ended up being Italian, or from New Jersey, or something.  

Back when the first Craig Anderton EPFM book came out, I built one of the state-variable filters and mounted it in a wah-type footpedal assembly. Since it allowed you to select the notch position (LP + HP), you could sweep it just like a two-stage phasor (MXR45), on top of the various wah-like functions. Unlike the MXR unit, however, you could adjust the resonance.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>