ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

EH Electric Mistress sounds thin

12/1/1997 10:47 AM
Anders Westerberg
email
EH Electric Mistress sounds thin
I've just fixed a broken EH Electric Mistress equipped with a SAD1024 (see earlier posting) and the effect seems to work well, but the owner thinks it sounds a little bit thin and "metallic" compared to his other Electric Mistress (with MN3005).  
However, I've checked all caps in the signal chain but I just can't find anything wrong. Is it likely that the two models sound different themselves? As I understand, the MN3005-model is the later model, right?  
All comments welcome.  

Anders

12/1/1997 11:08 AM
CJ Landry
email

That's a tough one Anders. I get the same responses on certain repairs and sometimes there is no real good answer.  
My reply would be to try your best to compare the repaired EM with SAD1024's to another working EM with SAD1024's. That is if you feel confidant that the pedal is working good. I have taken pedals back and worked for hours trying to solve a problem where I am not sure a problem exists. You have to learn that there is a point where you just say enough is enough and call it a repair or a loss! I have repaired items and just to do the right thing and please my customer they got it free! I hate doing it but sometimes that is the best answer. So the old addage, You live and learn!!!  
( Whoa, let me get back on track)  

Unfortunatley, there was no checkout procedure from EH that I know of that will assist in fine tuning the pedal. I go on my circuit analysis experience and what I think a good flanger ( in this case) should sound like.  

Hoped that helps,  
Christian  
CJLectronics

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/1/1997 12:47 PM
R.G.
email

I have a conjecture, but you won't like it. I have a lot of SAD1024's. I started out testing every one until I found that the defect rate was about 2 out of every hundred, so I stopped testing and just started replacing any that anyone was not happy with.  

In the testing, I found some 1024's that seemed partly-good; that is, they did a delay, but only a fraction of the delay that I expected. This was the case on one Electric Mistress I fixed, so maybe it is the same problem. Some of them just don't delay as long, perhaps with a failure of some inner short that doesn't fully kill it.  

It's a guess...  

I've said this before, but I'll repeat it - the SAD1024 was OK for it's time, and it's definitely what you want for repairs, but it's not robust, and all new designs should be done around the Panasonic devices.

12/1/1997 4:40 PM
CJ Landry
email

I started working on a replacement BBD circuit using an A/D, 6264 memory chip, and a D/A. I wired it all up along with a 4538 and it did not work!! It did not work only because I did not have enough time to debug my bread board. One of these days I am going to perfect that circuit and make it a drop in, SMT device so we won't all have to be dependant on these BBD's.  
Christian

12/2/1997 7:56 AM
R.G.
email

Sounds great, more reliable than the older MOS technology.  

Can the finished cost be made less than the cost of an SAD1024, currently $11 to $36, depending on where you get them?

12/2/1997 9:57 AM
CJ Landry
email

Well of course not!! You can't have your cake and eat it too R.G.. No really, That is the draw back. You are probably looking at somewhere in the nieghborhood of $25 to $30. Prices on 10 bit D/A's are expensive $15 and up; at least the one's I looked at.  
However, it could replace all of the BBD's that are no longer available like SAD512, R5106, R5107, and SAD4096 which is getting hard to find.  
I did see where prairie lakes.com has SAD4096's.  

Christian

12/2/1997 3:46 PM
R.G.
Bummer. I was hoping that some new chips had come along that made this easy.

Page 1 of 1