ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Compressor schematics on line.

3/5/1999 8:42 PM
R.G.
Website
email
Compressor schematics on line.
The schematics for the Orange Squeezer and Dyna-comp compressors are on line at GEO in the vintage schematics section.

3/6/1999 9:41 PM
erin
those JFETs look familiar, PLEASE dont tell me they have to be matched!

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/7/1999 9:13 AM
R.G.
Website
email

I don't think so. It looks to me like one is used for a constant current source, the other to modulate the circuit gain. I'll know more when I get the PCB prototyped and built.

3/7/1999 9:14 AM
R.G.
Website
email

Forgot to ask - how is the matching for the phaser going?

3/7/1999 1:54 PM
erin
Good, ive still only got the first 10 and found that 6 are within 10% and it sounds good with those.

3/8/1999 6:57 AM
CJ Landry
Website
email

RG,  
Can you explain how the Orange Squeezer works. Particularly, the feedback loop that drives the FETs. It looks like the peaks of the output of the op amp drive the first FETs gate but what throws me off, is the input signal is also seen at the gate of the first FET through the 2200pf and 470k R divider.  
I am stumped on what this section does?  

Thanks,  
CJ Landry

3/8/1999 8:34 AM
R.G.
Website
email

The JFET with its drain tied to +9V acts as a current source to establish a voltage through the 2.4K resistor and the 10K variable bias pot. This sets the source of the signal JFET at a fixed DC voltage. The signal JFET is simply acting as a variable resistor, which divides down the input signal as it comes through the 82K resistor at the input.  

The 2200pF/470K resistor from drain to gate on the signal JFET and the 470K resistor in series with the gate from the feedback voltage is a linearizing feedback setup around the JFET, and makes it a much more linear (less distortion on bigger signals)if less sensitive voltage variable resistor.

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>