ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

MXR Envelope Filter..?how it works?

11/29/1998 5:38 AM
Paul Perry
email
MXR Envelope Filter..?how it works?
Looking at a ckt for this (bad photocopy of the original 1979 company one). Can't see how it works, I assume that it is a switched resistor type with the pulsewidth of the signal to the CD4016 being modulated by the envelope of the input signal... but how is this all happening?  
In particular, what is the 'attack' pot doing, and how? All comments gratefully received.

11/29/1998 11:31 AM
R.G.
Website
email

Your assumption on how it works is correct. I haven't delved deeply enough into the thing to tell you much more than that. I'll put it into the queue to look at.

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

11/30/1998 2:21 PM
Mark Hammer
email

Near as I can tell, it probably isn't the pulse *width* of the CMOS switch sections that is being modulated, but the clock frequency (turn the light switch on and off faster, and the room generally appears to be brighter than if you turn it on and off slowly). There are 12, count em, 12 inverter sections in the MXR-EF, only 2 or 3 of which go unused. Two or three are dedicated to a variable frequency VCO.  

I have a hand-drawn schematic, and scans of the PC board and parts layout, which I am happy to send to interested parties, but all three need some touching up before they can be guaranteed not to lead you astray (fixingup a bad Bosstone schematic is one thing, but this baby is a little more complicated).  

If you own one of these delights (one of my all time favourite pedals), you can switch to a higher value attack pot (1M instead of 500k) to provide somewhat longer attacks, and can try swapping the caps in the 4016 switch sections for different frequency ranges. The existing caps are .01uf (or maybe .001uf, I forget). Lowering the two in value will raise the range into something more Dr.Q-like, and increasing the value will yield something more bass-appropriate. I stick a 3-position toggle switch in to give me the original range, a deeper, and a higher setting.

12/1/1998 2:45 AM
Paul Perry
email

Thanks Mark.. if the envelope is modulating the frequency of the switch, then it must have a constant pulse width (like a one-shot). Hadn't thought of doing this before, althoufh it IS how a theremin design I use works.

Page 1 of 1