ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

HELP me with my crazy LFO ideas

8/22/1998 3:22 PM
nic
email
HELP me with my crazy LFO ideas
Can anyone help me find some schematics for a few of these things:  

-Ramp and reverse Ramp wave generator.  
-a push pull deal so I can run dual LFO's out of phase with eachother for stereo operation.  

Or if soemone can help me in my direction. I hope that I can come up with a LFO that has the following selectable waveshapes:  

Triangle  
Square  
Ramp  
Reverse Ramp  

I like to be able to control the symetry, rate, intensity, and anything else I am missing like maybe bias. The LFO is heavily influenced by Roger Mayer's VooDoo Vibe, I just want to add on... Could someone help me, or am I on my own here????

8/22/1998 5:06 PM
nic
email

okay so I should have first scrolled down to an earlier discussion... R.G. how would I go about controlling the symetry and bias settings that are found on RM's VooDoo Vibe? Also, if I hacked a ramp generator in with this thing would it's rate and symetry and stuff be dependant on the normal LFO's settings. In other words could they share the same pots? I am also still puzzled on how to run the thing stereo.  

nic

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/23/1998 1:25 AM
Mark Hammer
There was just such a project in Elektor Magazine in the late 70's, called "SEWAR" (Sound Effects With Analog Reverb). It was intended to drive a bucket-brigade device. It does almost everything you describe, except for the dual thing, although I imagine you had envisioned separate LFO's.  

One place to look is any book on analog synthesis from the 1975 to 1983 period. Most such books will have a schematic or two, based on an 8038 function generator chip or an XR2206. Come to think of it, there was a series on the 2206 in Radio Electronics, in the mid to late 80's.

8/23/1998 9:04 AM
paul perry
email

weird LFO ckts?  
most of these are based on the concepts of level shifting (that is, adding or subtracting a fixed voltage to give a new 'baseline) and full wave rectifying (see the ckt in Jung's 'Op Amp Cookbook' for example).  
Also check out 'pan' circuits, a voltage controlled panner likely has in it what you want.  
And if you want a continuously variable waveform, try feeding a triangle to an OTA like a LM3080. By overdriving it, you go from triangle to sine to square.

8/23/1998 12:42 PM
nic
email

I need that book!!! I can't find it anywhere! The library where I used to live had it and I loved the thing... An amazing idea enters nic's head... Maybe one of you guys have two and would like to give me a copy? :)  

Hopefully it is at Amazon.com. They had one by the same title for $30, I don't want to buy it to find it is the wrong one... Does anyone have it's ISBN number handy?  

nic

8/24/1998 12:23 AM
Preben Hansen
Hi nic.  

I have found this document on the net.  
It is in PDF - format. It contains a scem. for a lfo with Ramp - Reverse Ramp - Triangle and Square wave output.  
Follow this link:  
http://www.tellus.vallentuna.se/gymninfo/personal/anders/gep.pdf  

Regards  
Preben.

8/24/1998 8:08 AM
paul perry
email

Thanks for the ref, Preben!  
It wouldn't be hard to add a rectifier and give an envelope following wah option as well.. but the filter doesn't look all that extreme. Should be as good as a DrQ, though.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>