ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Little Big Muff???

2/14/1997 12:24 PM
Gregg Soh
email
Little Big Muff???
Dear all,  

I recently discovered a suspicious looking stomp box from my local music store and just bought it out of curiousity. There was no indication whatsoever of what it actually was but after close scrutiny I could make out "Little Big Muff (Pi)" and it does look like the ones in the pictures, one slide switch, a stomp switch and a knob. Puzzling thing is, when I opened it up, I found two RC4558 ICs instead of transistors! Did they make LBMs with 4558's ever? If they did I wonder if any of you guys have a schematic, 'cos it doesn't work. Maybe some guy switched the guts? Please advise.

2/19/1997 11:42 AM
P Freuler
email

I have some old EH schematics for the Big Muff Pi, and they indicate that a later version of the Big Muff Pi did indeed use op amps in place of transistors. I have to assume that they did the same with the Little Muffs.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/4/1997 5:10 PM
Steve Morrison
email

I can confirm that, as I worked on a Little Big Muff not long ago and it indeed had op-amps. In fact, it would seem that the Big' and Little' of that era actually used the same circuit board. There were pads on the board that were obviosly intended for pots. but had fixed resistors installed.

Page 1 of 1