ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Biasing Problems

6/5/1999 4:40 PM
Warren
email
Biasing Problems
Hey all,  

I'm trying to bias using the transformer shunt method, but I think I'm doing something wrong here.  

I'm going from Pin 3 to the center tap, but I'm not getting any reading on the meter. Do I have to un-solder the center tap from ground to get it to read or am I doing something else wrong? I've got the meter set to the 200mA DC setting, red probe on the pin, black on the ground.  

Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

6/5/1999 7:37 PM
Dave S.
email

Warren:  

You don't have to disconnect the wire from the lug. It sounds as if you might have a blown fuse in you meter or your probes to your meter is not connected right.  

What type of meter are you using?  

Dave S.

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/5/1999 7:42 PM
Dave S.
email

Warren:  

One more thing. You was refering to the center tap as ground. The center tap should be connect to the B+ rail. If you connect your current meter from pin 3 to ground it would be a short....Blown fuse!  

Best Wishes  
Dave S.

6/6/1999 9:27 AM
Tom Lennon
email

Warren,  
I just did the same measurement on a Princeton silverface. The first thing I did wrong was not hook up my meter leads correctly ( at the meter). I had to move the red lead over to the mA position to get a reading. The next thing I did wrong was to go from pin 3 to ground as in a plate voltage measurement. That blew the fuse in my meter.  
The red lead goes to the center tap and the black lead goes to pin 3, ( red lead, red center tap wire) then I started to get the readings. I still managed to touch something else in the vicinity of pin 3 and blew another fuse so I put shrink tubing on all but just the very tip of my leads. One other precaution I took was to make the center tap connection last and remove it first after taking the measurement since it was easier to place the lead there and any inadvertant contacts w/ the black lead wouldn't complete a circuit.  
Tom Lennon

6/6/1999 1:58 PM
Warren
email

You know,  

I think it would work better if I was using the center tap on the output transformer rather than the power transformer.  

Now I just gotta dig up some more fuses and its on to the next lesson...  

Thanks for all the help,  

Warren

Page 1 of 1