ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

4 6V6GT Wards Amp

5/5/1999 2:34 PM
Chris
email
4 6V6GT Wards Amp
Hi,  

About a two weeks ago I requested any info people might have had about a Wards JDR 8421 amp. Thanks to everyone that responded. My big question is regarding the 4 6V6 power section which seems to be very underpowered for 4 6V6's. The preamp stage consists of two 12AX7 and the rectifier is supposed to be a 5Y3 but I changed it to a 5V4 which gave the amp more headroom. I'm betting this could be a pretty cool sounding amp, but without a schematic I'm finding it pretty difficult to work on. Any recomendations or insights would be greatly appreciated.  

Chris

5/5/1999 9:00 PM
D.L
email
4 6v6 ! yea..
I would agree that amp could be really cool. Have you measured the idle current on those tubes a pair at a time ? how about voltages..

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/6/1999 6:33 AM
Doc
email
Re: 4 6V6GT Wards Amp
I'd guess this type of amp should be putting out about 10 watts per pair of 6V6s, or total 20 watts. This can be plenty loud under the right conditions.  

Speaker efficiency plays a big part in the loudness equation. Try temporarily substituting some other modern speakers to your Wards amp, and see how the sound level is affected. You original speakers could be weak, even though the amp electronics *may* be healthy.  

Is there a noticeable hum in your speakers, independent of volume control setting and with nothing plugged into the input jack? If so, better power supply filter capacitors are in order. Power supply reserve can have a lot to do with loudness under high power demand.  

These are a couple of easy things to check before going deeper into the circuitry.

Page 1 of 1