ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Marsh.2210 question

5/3/1999 11:52 PM
D.L
email
Marsh.2210 question
Anyone know what that 3300 mf cap is doing in the preamp ? I'm having a devil of a time chasing down a power up/down crackle in this thing, subbing coupling and bypass caps one at a time so far hasnt gotten rid of it yet. thanks 'mpagers.

5/4/1999 2:08 PM
D.L
email

its not the standby switch and the o.t. seems fine.. Anyone got a schem for one of these ? I know there's one in History of Marsh. but my pal with a copy is out of town..

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/5/1999 5:07 AM
Liam
email
Trace might help!
D.J.  

Trace might be able to help you out with this. He's a mine of knowledge on JCM800 Marshalls. Hopefully he'll pick up this thread!  

Try tapping a few caps with a plastic implement (ball point pen) and see if you can reproduce the crackle. This pretty often helps.  

Liam

5/5/1999 8:52 PM
D.L
email
it was the main filter
thanx Liam ! I was reminded of the old "bridge a good cap across it" test and I found it..

5/6/1999 3:25 AM
Liam
email

Glad you found it!  

Was that one of the big blue ones? I've never had any trouble with those.  

BTW, what's the 2210 like? I'm a bit of a 2203 fan, but I'm starting to think I could use 2 channels. The 2210's a 2 channel reverb 100 watt head, right? Do they sound anything like the earlier Master Volume amps?  

Liam

5/6/1999 4:31 PM
Trace
Website
email

Liam;  

You beat me to it!!!  

Trace

5/7/1999 11:23 AM
Carl
email

These beasts sound NOTHING like the older master volume heads. If this is the one I'm thinking of, I can never keep these numbers straight, it has the tone control immediately after the first gain stage then diode clipping right before the mixer stage. This seems to make the drive channel sound a little buzzy to me.  

I found a mod for this amp in my pile of notes the other day and it involves moving the tone controls to after the cathode follower. I have no idea where i got it from and I've never tried it so I don't know how it sounds.  

Oh God! Here we go again with more Marshall mods!  

Regards;  
Carl

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>