ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Opinions on best EL-84

4/11/1999 9:10 PM
Ryan Lussier Opinions on best EL-84
Howdy, I'm racking my head over which tubes to buy for my Fender. I like clean headroom cause I always use fuzz or distorion pedals. I was going to go with the Sovtek EL-84M's cause they're supposed to be cleaner but have also recently heard they are kind of flat sounding. I'm not looking for expensive NOS tubes so I have kind of narrowed it down to just the regualr Sovtek EL-84 like is in there now(not bad) or the new Teslas(not too expensive). Did Matchless really ship their amps with the EL84M's? They can't be bad if they did! I was also going to go with the Sovtek 12AX7+ preamp tubes cause I heard so many good things about them but if they are higher gain I might just want to stick with the basic Sovtek 12AX7's for the clean. Sorry for the rambling, any opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4/12/1999 12:20 AM
D.L
email

just thought I'd relay that yesterday I discovered the source of a curious "baLump" noise in my brown Deluxe that has plagued me for several weeks sounding like power supply or such turned out to be a rather new Sovtek 12ax7wxt ...

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/12/1999 7:06 AM
Liam
I know they're a bit expensive c/w Sovtek, but I've found NOS Phillips EL84's to be outstanding for tone and reliability, which the Sovtek's weren't. The NOS Mullards are great, but it really is too much money.  

Liam

4/12/1999 12:15 PM
Dave Chun
email

I'll second the "balump" noise with Sovtek 12AX7WXTs, but after running them for a couple of months, the sound is gone...

4/13/1999 4:57 AM
Richie
I have posted the noise problem many times, and popping sovtek preamp tubes.I wish they would fix this. If you get the Sovtek El84s, try to get a low matching number. [Richie]

4/13/1999 11:35 AM
Doc
email

Does a relatively low transconductance figure, when comparing new tubes of the same manufacture, indicate a "colder" tube with more headroom, and possibly a more stable operation in amps where high level signal transients (guitar amps) are the norm?

4/13/1999 5:35 PM
Richie
Doc: It does seem this way, just what you desribed.Plus you can run them at a little higher plate voltage, and they won't red plate. [Richie]

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>