ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Plexi 200

3/16/1999 9:22 PM
D.L
email
Plexi 200
Howdy all, I got a plexi major and I've been tidying up the wiring on it and electrolytics and stuff- Anybody got any tips for retolexing old marshall heads or opinions on KT-88's and 6550's ? I'd love to hook up w/ anyone else who has a major- maybe start a M. Major club or something...! Ciao

3/17/1999 7:45 AM
Richie
There are some threads on retolexing in the archives, even down to what glue they like best. Its not to hard, and marshall and quite a few others have the tolex.As for the KT-88, I don't know how the New ones do, but Svetlana has 6550s and they make some great tubes. The Majors and Pigs, are ear busters, SRV used one in the studio when recording In Step.. [Richie]

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/17/1999 9:10 AM
Trace
Website
email

Hey;  

If you own a Marshall Major...you are the man!! They only other cat that used them live was Richie Blackmore. They are mightly loud indeed.  
I know where there's one in show room condidtion and also in a custom made road case. You could probably nab it for $1,000. There's one single dig on this beast, hell there's no dust on it!!  
These babies are just too loud for me. God Bless you!! I'm glad some can get some use out of these. I would suspect they would be great in the studio for clean tones and for making speakers break up from volume.  

Trace

3/17/1999 11:51 AM
GFR
Website
email

I had a Major clone (200W with 4 6550s) that I used for bass. It was given to me by the previus owner because he thought it was broken - it was blowing a lot of tubes. No wonder, he was using cheap EL34's instead of the 6550's...

3/17/1999 7:02 PM
Richie
A funny thing happend, and I tried to reply but the connection would not go through.I was replying to the post, and the TV beside me had a guy come on the news that had gone to a rock concert and was sueing for ear damage! This came on as I hit the Post button, and could'nt get back on in time to post this. I just thought it was funny,cause I was saying how loud The Majors were, and this guy came on sueing for ear damage. You might want to hang a sign on your Major "Ear Protction Required" Or "Prolonged Sound Levels May Make You Sterile" So you won't have someone sueing you for ear damage or something ! {HA} I would think if someone was going to a rock concert, they should know its going to be loud! They should take earplugs if they can't handle it. But theres always someone that wants to get something out of someone.[Richie]

3/18/1999 1:51 AM
D.L
email

Richie- that's pretty funny..! Actually tho all in all I'd say the Majors that I've played thru all seemed to be just a bit louder than a 100, but with more fullness- I did a head to head comparison (pun intended)and the major made a plexi 100 sound thin and that amp was considered by myself and another tech to be pretty much the benchmark of tone previously...

Page 1 of 1