ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Princeton reverb low end distortion

1/27/1999 10:50 AM
Brian
email
Princeton reverb low end distortion
Recently I picked up a SF Princeton Reverb that had a bad hum and distortion in the low frequencies. I have replaced the tubes, filter caps and all the poly signal caps. And thanks to great advice from Steve @ Angela replaced the output transformer. Amp now is quiet and mids and highs sound great - low end distortion still there. I have ruled out: tubes, OT, poly caps, filter caps and speaker. All resisters test within spec. The buzz comes on if you attack any low note, and sounds harsh metallic and mechanical almost. With volume pegged, distortion is present with the bass turned up past 0. I have not replaced any ceramic caps. Don't mind doing so, but I understand current ceramic caps are lousy,so I don't want to replace any that don't need it. Any guidance would be most appreciated.

1/27/1999 4:43 PM
Carlo
email

It may be a speaker problem.  

Carlo

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/27/1999 4:51 PM
Don Symes
email

You'll do better listening to the rest of these guys, but have you looked at the soldering and mechanical connections on the pots?  

As to the ceramic caps, the thing is to go for the better dielectrics, like COG, NPO, and X7R (assuming they come in adequate voltages).  

Try to avoid Y5V and Y5U as they're not very durable or stable under heat (just proper soldering kills some of them)

Page 1 of 1