ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

How many blackface SR were built?

1/19/1999 3:10 PM
Al
Website
email
How many blackface SR were built?
Does anybody has an idea how many BFSR were built. Same q. about BFDR, BFBandm, etc...  
Thanks  
Al

1/20/1999 3:24 PM
anonymous
who cares?

Monday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/20/1999 10:37 PM
Charles
Website
email

The real question is: How many are left!

1/25/1999 4:24 PM
Michael S.
email

If Carl Sagan were still alive, he'd tell you that Fender build "thousands and thousands" of BF amps. Don't forget that Fender was arguably the largest manufacturer of instrument amplifiers on the planet during a period when the interest in making music or just performing exploded. From '64 to the early '70s, the larger amps were real popular, so I would imagine that Twins, Showman/Dual Showman, and Bassman amps would have been the ideal for which people strove. Super Reverbs, Bandmasters, and Deluxe Reverbs were what they settled for. Everyone got a GOOD amp for the price, whether it was a BF Champ or a Dual Showman.  

Don't forget that a $1000 amplifier in the late '60s would be the equivalent of a $3000+ amp now, at an absolute minimum. That's why the "boutique" amplifiers seem expensive compared to the original prices of the old Fenders. A hand-built '59 Bassman would cost a lot more than the $1100 list of the RI if it were duplicated EXACTLY. Also, discounting dealers were a lot fewer and further between back in the old Fair Trade Law days. In most states, you paid list price, like it or not.  

Even the RI Fenders are a good buy at current prices, though they might not have "that" sound without putting several hours worth of work and a few dollars into components to make them point-to-point. At that extreme, you still have to consider that the rectifiers, transformers and tubes are all different than they were thirty or more years ago.  

No matter how many were made, they should all be considered a somewhat historic piece. If it were possible to hear them, every amp out there would have a story to tell.

1/25/1999 4:31 PM
Keith
email

I`ve often wondered about that only because I`ve run across so many from 66.More 64`s than 65`s.Most all the 66`s sound great and most 64`s I`ve played sound good but lack punch,turn them up to 3 and you can`t feel it. Turn my 66 up to 3 and look out. Keith and the

Page 1 of 1