ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Crate Speakers

12/17/1998 4:46 PM
Bob
email
Crate Speakers
Who makes the speakers for crate amps

12/17/1998 5:29 PM
Michael S.
email

Bob,  

I would imagine that Crate uses several manufacturers to supply as many speakers as they would need. The make a LOT of Crate and Ampg amps at St. Louis Music, in a WIDE variety of price ranges. I would imagine that Eminence gets a fair amount of that business, since they pretty much own the low-to-mid price range speakers. Altec, JBL, and Electro-Voice all make mid-to-high-end speakers, and you might find those in any number of SLM amps.  

Easiest way is to look at the back or the speaker frame itself, and read te seven-digit number stamped on the frame itself. the first three digits convey manufacturer name, the next two the year in which they were built, and the last two are the designator for the specific week of the year.  

Example: 220-935 Denotes a Jensen speaker built in the 35th week of either 1959 or 1969. A 1979 speaker would have a code like this -- 220-7935. There's a list of the manufacturers' names and codes in one of Weber's books, but I have to go turn in some oil for recycling, and I need to do it NOW.  

Hope that helps some.

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/17/1998 6:11 PM
moocow
I would also guess that Crate uses Eminence, but check the speaker code to make sure. Weber's book lists the E.I.A. source code number for Eminence as 67. So expect a number like 67-9523 (25th week of 1995). I know this isn't a seven-digit number, but somehow Eminence wound up with a two-digit source code number.  

I've seen this number in lots of recent Fender amps, so even though they may have brown labels that say "Fender Special Design", or have blue frames and Alnico magnets, they are Eminence speakers.

12/18/1998 8:27 AM
Bruce
email

Just put a zero infront of the 67, 067-9523.  
The last Crate I looked at had a 67 coded speaker in it.  
It actually was a decent sounding one too.  
It compared favroably with MOJO's Eminence made  
M12V30 12" Celestion copy.  

Bruce

12/18/1998 3:27 PM
Graywater
email

Bob:  

I do SLM warranty and, as best I remember, the guitar speakers are mostly Emminence (PA speakers might be different). Some sound really great and some are less expensive - depends on the model.  

GW

Page 1 of 1