ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Thanks and comments

11/25/1998 8:35 PM
Michael Sullivan
email
Re: Thanks and comments
FET,  

Having passed the 50-year mark a while ago, I have yet to reach the stage where I think absolutely clean is the way to go. Granted, I no longer desire the sound of a 100-watt Marshall with a Tube Screamer, but I've yet to want to go to transistors.  

I LIKE my tube-type tone monsters! I will admit, however, to stepping DOWN on the power and going to two 6V6s. My speaker choice has gone from 2-12s to 2-10s or 4-10s. 20 watts is PLENTY for me. If I need a bit of crunch, a modified Princeton on 10 has that, and not nearly as much aural destruction.  

And I would REALLY consider the re-cone option if it were mine. I haven't seen the inside of a Polytone in YEARS, but I seem to remember the speaker anomaly. I think I've forgotten how transistors work, though.......  

Have a Happy Thanksgerbil, everyone!

11/25/1998 9:59 PM
Steven
email

A recomendation for speaker repair.  
Orange County Speaker  
714-554-8520  
www.speakerrepair.com  
These guys are real pros,  
Great service, fast turnaround.  
Steven

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

11/26/1998 5:53 AM
Liam
email

fet,  

Have you considered doing the recone yourself. You can get recone kits for most things here in the UK, complete with glue and plastic spacer to align the coil, about £20 ($30). They're a bit fiddly to get right, and the dome in the middle is a b**** to put in neatly, but you'll feel really good about yourself if you do it!(well I did anyway).  

I hear what you're saying about clean tone, and I hear what everyone's saying about dirty tone, and I agree with everyone. I just love the sound of a too loud electric guitar.

11/26/1998 9:50 AM
Michael Sullivan
email

FET,  

Yes, speaker re-cone parts are available here, as well, though I've forgotten the web address for one of the major suppliers. I may be able to find a US retailer of speakers kits, but it'd take better than a week -- my hi-fi/speaker contact has email only at work, and won't be back 'til Monday.  

Let me know by off-group email if you want me to ask....

11/27/1998 10:26 AM
Charlie Escher
Website
email

I use a Hafler P3000 stereo power amp with EVs, but I feed it from my homebrew 60 watt ex-Laney amp, allowing preamp tube distortion if desired, or super clean round jazz tone or funk tone. The power section of the tube head is still active (into either a Jensen or Celestion) though, so I have power tube saturation as needed, and when I blend digital EFX (with a mixer, through the Hafler) it works great for the Pat Metheny style 3D sound thing. Not exactly "dead clean", but surprisingly natural sounding and easy on the ears. I looking 50 in the face pretty soon myself, but I seem to be getting more cranky in my old age, if anything! BTW, playing through a guitar synth will really expose poor technique in a heartbeat; the synth is the reason I'm using such a convoluted rig to begin with.

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 2