ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

AB165 to AA864

10/22/1998 1:35 AM
BWiliamson
email
AB165 to AA864
I started some general maint. on my Blkface 67'Bassman. I have been trying to figure out what model it was. Sticker inside stated AA864 with the 2nd A crossed off with a B written over it. Now for the life of me I haven't been able to find a AB864 schem. Anyway had it apart to recap it and was looking at the bias supply and and realized it was a balance contol. With now this bit of info and a little detective work I have deduced it is a AB165. I changed the bias supply to AA864 but that was it. Will this amp really benefit from a full AA864 transformation. This amp didn't seem to break up much even full out thru celestions. Be nice to have a bit more gain without hacking up this amp too much. How would a project affect the value? I have plenty of amps, just lookin' for some building/modding experience. Opinions?

10/22/1998 7:19 AM
J Fletcher
email

Some of these have a feedback loop from the 6L6 plates to the grids. They're mounted on a terminal strip and not on the circuit board, if I remember correctly. I once repaired one of these amps that had an out of tune note accompanying every note played. After subbing in new filter caps, tubes, anything else I could think of, I removed the 220k feedback resistors...problem solved. Should give you a bit more gain too.

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/22/1998 3:29 PM
Richie
email

J Fletcher: I had one that was like this too,it had some hum when using the 220k,I removed them too,and the hum went away. [Richie]

10/22/1998 11:16 PM
Andy Ruhl
email

The AB165 is the first silverface amp, but in blackface clothing. Go ahead and change it to AA864 specs from the coupling cap right before the phase inverter all the way to the power tubes. I leave the preamp the way it is, but I remove the caps across the plate loads. I've also played with the 470k interstage feedback resistor a bit. I've found that removing it can cause hum, and I didn't bother trying to figure out where it was coming from so I put it back in. I prefer the AB165 preamp after those caps are removed.  

Andy

Page 1 of 1