ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: One question...

6/16/1998 7:17 AM
Mike D.
email
Re: One question...
Steve,  
Are you thinking of starting an amp company? I'll buy one of your tweed Deluxe clones for $300! I'd also be interested in being your east coast distributor.  

Regards,  
Mike D.

6/17/1998 1:40 AM
Steve A.
email

Mike:  

Having looked inside a few modern mass-produced amps that sell for under $300 I don't see why one of the majors couldn't use the basic design from a tweed deluxe instead and sell them for the same price (or even less since there would be a lot fewer parts used).  

Steve Ahola

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/17/1998 4:42 AM
George Herpich
email

Steve,  

The Pro Jr is pretty close to what  
you're talking about, right? If they  
built it similar to that it could be  
bought at discount for not much more  
than 300.  

George

6/19/1998 1:44 AM
Steve A.
email

George:  

I haven't seen the schematics for any of the newer Fender amps not included in the Pittman book. I've heard that Fender does include schematics with all of their amps now (or is that just the more expensive ones?) I guess I need to bribe the local Fender dealer to let me copy the schematics from all of their new amps...  

So is the Pro Jr a nice amp (especially if you retube it and upgrade the speaker)?  

Steve Ahola

6/19/1998 4:47 AM
George Herpich
email

Steve,  
I wasn't comparing the Pro Jr to the  
Deluxe I just meant that Fender could  
build a similar amp with a deluxe  
circuit with the 12" speaker and maybe  
tube rectifier for what, $100 more?  

Doug Hoffman told me he has used hix  
deluxe board in Pro Jrs with cool results.  

George

6/19/1998 8:57 AM
Aaron Flynt
email

The Pro Jr. does come with a schematic. I really like the sound of them, especially for more country flavored styles(using tele style guitars).  

Aaron

6/19/1998 9:10 AM
Mike B
email
Re: Pro Jr. Schematic
Hi Aaron,  
How about posting that Pro Jr.  
schematic on this site. If that  
is not possible, could I get a  
copy from you?  

Thanks,  
Mike B