ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Capacitor Replacement

1/12/1998 9:13 PM
Jason Borders
email
Capacitor Replacement
This is probabably one of those subjects that's been covered a hundred times. Sorry if I haven't been paying attention. I'm looking for opinions regarding intially charging caps up for the first time (Vox AC-50). Is there a safe way that doesn't require a variac or put any stress on 33 year old transformers.  
Thanks for any help.

1/13/1998 7:32 AM
Whit
email

Jason,  

Try the poor man's variac...  

Wire up an electrical outlet in SERIES  
with a 40 watt light bulb. Put a switch  
in there too for emergencies.  

Check you work by plugging something  
(say a drill) into it to see that the  
lightbulb dims when you operate the drill.  

The bulb will take some of the edge off the  
initial amp power up, and the caps  
should be happy.  

It's actually described in Kevin O'Conner's  
Tonnes of Tone, to give credit where it's  
due...  

... Whit

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/13/1998 8:21 AM
John Kos
email

You could put a large value resistor (1 meg or more) in series with the B+ before the first filter cap, remove all the tubes (accept the rectifier), and then turn on the amp while observing the voltage across the caps. They will charge slowly. Just make sure they don't go over their working voltage.  

John Kos

1/13/1998 8:29 AM
Doc
email

Jason:  

R.G. detailed a method in a previous post, you may still be able to retrieve it from the archives of this BBS. Seems to me it was back in Nov'97 or thereabout. There may be a method on his web page in the tube amps section.  

Also, there is a suitable method detailed at Angela's website (www.angela.com).  

I think it's best to read all of them for a better understanding of the subject, and then pick a correct method which is easiest to accomlish with the parts & apparatus you will have on hand.  

Doc

1/13/1998 10:11 AM
Whit
email

Doc,  

Just curious here... does the 40 watt  
light bulb in series method have  
merit?  

I'd hate to think I'd given out bad info...  

... Whit

1/13/1998 10:04 AM
R.G.
The standard method used to form the caps in the first place is to connect them to a voltage source through a high resistance. This lets the low amount of current that leaks through form the oxide layer without localized heating that un-forms it.  

Sprague recommended using 100K in series with the capacitor and a voltage source equal to the final voltage you want to form to. You watch the voltage across the 100K, and when it declines to 10% of the voltage source, the capacitor is formed.  

One implication of using this method is that the leakage resistance of the cap has to be 10X the resistance in series as 9/10 of the voltage is dropped across it, so you get out of this a cap with leakage of about 1M.

1/13/1998 10:12 AM
Jack Orman
email

Seems like I recall a simple method using a 6X4 tube in series with the B+ as a soft start (if memory serves). Was in an old issue of Glass Audio.  

regards, Jack

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>