ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

S/F Pro Reverb with little bottom end

10/13/1997 6:33 PM
Doug S/F Pro Reverb with little bottom end
I was lucky enough to purchase a 1978 Pro Reverb that sat in a closet for about ten years. It is cosmeticly in mint condition once I cleaned it up, but has very little bottom end bass response past 4 on the bass control. Is this due to the stock Utah's? Is it due to failed caps? Is it because I'm used to the bass response of my twin reverb (twice the power of the pro)?

10/13/1997 8:15 PM
Charles
email

It really woudn't hurt to recap the amp, since the things 20 years old, and sitting for that long doesn't help the situation!  

After that... you may want to change that cap on the input to the phase inverter to something a little bigger, like .022  

Just for grins, you may want to check to make sure the speakers are in phase...  

And... past about half way up, the Fender bass control doesn't do too much more. Most of the "control" is in the first half of the rotation.  

Hope that helps!!

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/14/1997 6:35 AM
dsheppard
email

get the O/P tranny changed out to a heftier one....big difference in low end tightness

10/14/1997 8:55 AM
R.G.
email

Is this a two speaker box? If so, are the two speakers in phase? Out of phase speakers would do what you're describing.

10/14/1997 5:43 PM
Doug
Please keep it to a chuckle when I ask what you mean by "in phase", I'm learning as I go! This amp has 2 12" speakers. How do I check that they are "in phase.

10/14/1997 9:02 PM
Keith
Doug ,take a 9 volt battery and put your speaker 1/4 plug tip into the the round hole of the 9 volt battery and then ground (at the same time) the shaft of the 1/4 plug to the other terminal so they both touch, look at your speaker cones when you do this ,if both speakers move in the same direction(in or out, preferably out) your in phase, if one speaker moves out and the other speaker moves in your out of phase.

10/16/1997 7:10 PM
Doug
It seems they're in phase! I'll start looking at replacing the speakers or getting a cap job.  
Thanks for the help/tip!  

DB

Page 1 of 1