ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Anyone converted Dynaco to guit amp?

9/5/1997 10:48 AM
Mike Schulze
email
Anyone converted Dynaco to guit amp?
I have a line on two Dynaco MarkIII tube amps - they are 50W EL34 with 4,8, and 16* outputs. I am wondering if these would make good guitar amps???

9/5/1997 3:40 PM
Steve Morrison
email

No conversion neccessary, Mike; just plug your favorite guitar preamp into the MarkIII's line input and attach your favorite guitar speaker cabinet to the MarkIII's speaker terminals and wail away.  

If you had something more drastic in mind, like using the MarkIII chassis as a platform to build something other than a MarkIII, I'd advise against it, simply because the stock MarkIII's will always be more valuable than any kind of guitar-amp kludge that could be made out of them.

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

9/5/1997 3:45 PM
steve
Yes,they would make great power amps for guitar!  
They should work fine just stock.  
Mark III's used 6550's.  
Great warm clean tone.  
You could even convert it to use KT-88's.  
You could try them stock just get adapters so you can plug in a 1/4"guitar chord.  
Good luck.I've heard the filter cap is almost impossible to find.  
Make shure the one in those amps is healthy.

9/6/1997 7:44 AM
James
Sunn amps were basically Dynacos. Don't bugger those cool MK3s. Buy a Sunn if you want to experiment. The Mallory can/caps used in the Dynacos are obsolete, but there is enough room inside the chassis to add series capacitors and bleed-off resistors. I'd buy the Dynacos and use them in your stereo. They sound good, look cool, and they use tubes!

9/8/1997 8:58 AM
Mike
email

So there is a consensus. However I've heard these are not highly valued as audiophile equipment. Is it true the stereo 70 was really the first "good" dynaco?  

What about their value?

9/9/1997 7:29 AM
James
Dynacos were not the best tube stereos ever made, but they are great for modding. There are several web-sites that discuss modding in detail. The ST-70 has a different circuit than the MK3s, so they sound different, but not better. You can expect to pay more for a pair of MK3s than a ST70, but not much more.

Page 1 of 1