ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Peavey Classic 50 retube

2/11/1997 4:02 PM
Aaron
email
Peavey Classic 50 retube
OK, all you tube fiends...I have a Peavey Classic 50 head (the tweed one) that I am extremely happy with. I am starting to look around for info on retubing it. Question: can I vastly improve the sound by taking out the "Peavey Super 7" 12AX7's and replacing with Sovtek 12AX7WXT+SEL (or some other tube)? I like the level of preamp distortion I get now (though I wouldn't mind more!) Will I get a "fuller, richer sound" as advertized? Has anyone out there tried these? ALSO, the amp uses Sovtek EL84 output tubes. I like the way these distort when I crank it, but they're a bit lacking on the low end and low mids. One more thing: this amp has no bias adjustment. Thanks...

2/12/1997 3:04 PM
Matt
Aaron, I have the 4-10 combo classic 50. I have not changed tubes in it yet so  
I could not tell you if the sovteks will do you any justice, but I have done some other major changes by getting rid of the wimpy PCB's that the preamp and output tubes are mounted on and replacing it with a thick sheet of aluminum. This required some stand-offs with point to point wiring of all the components that were on both boards. Also I got rid of all those molex connectors and soldered in all connections. Now if only I could get the case from vibrating against the chasis this thing might be road worthy. I should of bought the head virsion like you did. -Oh well, maybe I'll break out the chainsaw.  
The classic 50 is class A config.- no bias needed.

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/12/1997 3:59 PM
Aaron
email

Thanks for the response, Matt. I've played many gigs with this head as is, tossed in the back of a truck, spilled beers on it, and it seems to have held up pretty well (except for the requisite tears in the covering!). Did your rewire affect the sound? How? Also-yes, I am really happy I bought the head version. I tried it in the store at the behest of some salesman, through the 4X10/1X15 cabs that were supposedly made for it and it sounded pretty damn cool. But it was NOTHING compared to what it sounded like when I brought it home and plugged it into two 4X12s! I have a friend with a JCM900, and my Peavey absolutely ROASTS it. And as an added bonus, a great clean sound. Thanks -- Aaron

2/13/1997 12:28 AM
John Martin
email

First, there is no such thing as a "Peavy" tube, they just rebrand someone else's. If they rebranded some chinese tubes you could do well to go with the Sovteks. I would recommend the 12AX7WB. The XT's etc may or may not work better in your amp. I find from experiance that some of the finer points of tube balance and symetry are lost on guitar amps.What you want is high gain. But if you have a few extra bucks get both and experiment, have fun, and post your results for the rest of us. thanks

2/13/1997 3:36 PM
Aaron
email

I knew the "Peavey Super 7" was a rebrand, but there's no other way (that I know of) to tell whose they are. I imagine they are, as you say, some cheap Chinese tubes, in which case the Sovteks undoubtedly would sound better. I do get plenty of gain with the "Super 7's" - to my ears, it's perfect with both the Pre and Post knobs pegged. What I'm looking for is a little more richness or fullness to the sound, if you know what I mean. "Harmonic complexity", or whatever the twenty dollar phrase is. Perhaps some different power amp tubes - which brings me to my next question - what do you know about EL84s? Thanks to "the insane" John Martin for the most excellent response!

2/14/1997 12:49 AM
Mark C
The Super 7's are a Chinese tube (At lest in my friend's 5150).  
The Sovteck's would sound fuller and richer but may be muddy.Chinese one's  
have a britter tone and are a little more "open" sounding but more prone to microphonics.(in a weired way to putt it Chinese sound like a Marshall (britter) and Sovtek sounds like a boogie, not the gain but the tone (fatter but not as much edge).Is hard to put sound and tone to words sometimes.Hope that helps.  

2/17/1997 3:02 PM
Aaron
email

Thanks, Mark, that does help. Which Sovtek did your friend put in his 5150? I emailed Sovtek and got a pretty detailed response from them - "Andy" from Sovtek says the 12AX7WB is a good tube but that it rolls off on the high end. That may account for the "muddy" sound you described. With that in mind, I wonder what the 12AX7WA would sound like? Or some other manufacturer's tube? Are there any 12AX7 gurus out there? Any comments from the panel would be appreciated!

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>