ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

70v line transformers

6/3/1999 10:51 PM
Bruce
email
70v line transformers
I'm doing my annual "what the heck is in this box" thing at the shop this week and I found a few hefty 15-20 watt 70v line transformers.  
The voltage ratio is about +16.5:1, or a Zed ratio of around 273:1.  
Besides their obvious use, can anybody think of a good use for them.... there is no center tap!  
SE class A parallel 6V6GTs with a couple 10" 8 ohm speakers in series?  
etc..???  

Bruce  
Mission Amps

6/4/1999 6:13 AM
R.G.
Website
email

It is likely that the core stack is not gapped, so they would saturate very easily with the class A bias current in a SE amp.  

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of things you could use them for  
as is, other than audio distribution transformers - and neato high  
tech doorstops...

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/7/1999 1:18 PM
Don Symes
email

To carry GFR's point a little further:  

Part of the reason the B+ supply runs through the primary is that it's a free choke, right?  

So, what if you AC couple the primary to the power tube, and send B+ through a separate, hefty choke (like a whole 'nother one of these puppies with primary an secondary in series)?

6/4/1999 8:33 AM
Doc
email

Not disregarding what R.G. said, I allowed my mind to wander a bit (low-level creativity). I know how you feel, "There's got to be a way to utilize these babies".  

You can build a low power SE guitar amp with these. Since they're rated for 20w w/o a standing DC current on the primary, they should be good for a 3-5w blues amp (for practice or recording), or use a pair for a nice hifi headphone amp for listening to CDs (tubes & iron round off the square edges that grate on your nerves).  

Based on your posted figures, I take it these paperweights don't have multiple output taps, only a dedicated "8ohm" secondary winding. At 273:1, an 8ohm load would reflect 2184 on the primary. For a 16ohm speaker load, you could use one of the common pentodes or beam tubes that would do well with a 4.3k load. For an 8ohm speaker load, you could use a tube with a lower plate resistance, like a 6Y6GA, or even use a triode like a 6EM7 for a watt or two audio (or an excellent headphone amp).  

You could use the transformers as is, if you don't expect good bass response through a speaker, or you could modify them slightly. Take them apart, and reassemble the E-I laminations as a complete E-core with an I-bar at the end for closure. Use a paper shim where the E contacts the I for gapping. You'll need external frames or end bells to hold the thing together via thru-bolts at the corners. Now you have a SE output trans. While you're in there, you could peel off a few turns of the secondary to increase the turns ratio.  

Well....that's what I'd do with them if they were mine. I already have enough doorstops, compact, beatifully made Mil-spec power transformers, potted, sealed in smooth flat black rectangular cans with the connection schematic printed in white, glass-sealed solder post terminals, for use in 400 cycle AC. I'll have to wait a long time for the power company to raise my line frequency!

6/7/1999 6:06 AM
GFR
Website
email

What about a "single ended push-pull" amp (similar to srpp)? You would need two separate power supplies (+V and -V) or you can use a capacitor to decouple the transformer. Just rambling...

Page 1 of 1