ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: DOC---> Diode clipping...got the schematic..

4/24/1999 2:42 AM
David Manson
email
Re: DOC---> Diode clipping...got the schematic..
I've got the schem for the 2555 -- probably email it to ya tommorrow Trace..

4/24/1999 12:35 PM
Trace
Website
email

David;  

Great! Please do and I'll do my very best to help you! I know there is a few other who also would be more than willing to help you out.  

:-)  
Trace

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/19/1999 10:56 PM
ken gilbert
Website
email
Re: DOC---> Diode clipping...cathode resistors
quote:
"#1.) I removed C1 (.68uF) and placed one 1N4004 diode in it's place. This is a black diode with a silver stripe. The silver stripe goes to ground. Again, this diode boosts the gain and the lower frequencies."

Set up in this way, Trace, you are essentially providing the tube with a fixed bias source of about 0.7V, the forward Vf of the 1N4004 diode. At anything less than 0.7 Vk, the diode "dissapears" to the tube. At anything more than 0.7 Vk, the diode is a VERY low impedance conductor, which would explain the gain increase. The BASS increase can be explained by the fact that there is no frequency dependant impedance as there is with a cap bypass--i.e. no RC "break" frequency.  

quote:
"#1.) Tie two of the 1N4004's together with the silver stripes facing opposite ends of one another and place this where C1 was located."

By wiring the diodes thusly you are simply limiting the voltage (for BOTH polarities) that can appear across the pair. The 4004's will have a higher Vf than the 914's.  

Pretty interesting findings, though. I plan to impliment a diode bounding scheme on the crunch channel of the preamp I'm twisting together. You simply cannot beat the diode bounds for low noise, effective crunch!  

IMO, of course.  

kg

4/20/1999 12:44 AM
Mark Cameron
email

Couldent this idea make a low noise high gain preamp,If the diode turns on at a set point than way not connect the band end to a cap.  
so guitar volume down no caps no noise, volume up caps on full gain??????  

........Mark

4/19/1999 10:14 PM
Bruce
email
Re: David---> Diode clipping...cathode resistors
Doc, do you think this is similar in function to Tom Mitchell's constant current sourcing method in the preamp sections of that elaborate FX loop we talked about last year?  
Also, I've seen this type of thing discussed in great length by many folks including RG in FX DIY forum and over in Jack's DMZ.  
Remember all the chatter about different "turn on" voltage/currents for different Si and Ge diodes, IR diodes and colored LEDs? Not to mention unbalancing them with odd numbers per side.  
We use to use Ge diodes or HP Shotky diodes in product detectors... why not here too?  
IR diodes were used to bias dual gate mosfets.  
And let's not forget our Canadian friend(s)!  
I think Kevin dedicated quite a bit of print to it too, especially the use of back to back zener diodes swamped with caps or held up with resistors to round them over a bit.  
Still, lots of configurations to goof with and cheap!  
But fairly old ideas, I think.  

Bruce  
Mission Amps

4/20/1999 5:35 AM
Jack Orman
Website
email

quote:
"Pretty neat discovery. You could combine this arrangement with the Ck switching selector for a wide range of tones. Sell kits.  

Better patent this one before you-know-who!"

There is a tube book in the public library here in town that describes using a zener diode in the cathode circuit for bias purposes and it describes the effect on gain and also the low dynamic impedance of the diode. I can't remember the title but I'm sure I could find it again since I just looked at it this weekend. Also, I have previously described the use of an LED on the source of an FET for constant voltage bias, which has been used in Aron's original Shaka Braddah circuit. http://surf.to/stompbox/  

Not saying that it's not patentable, just pointing out a couple of references.  

best regards, Jack

4/20/1999 2:59 PM
David Manson
Website
email
Re: David---> Diode clipping...2555 schematic..
Does anyone have a scanned copy of the schematics for a marshall 2555 series -- 50 watter... (silver jubilee) -- I have a friend that has the marshall book.. It may take awhile if i go and get it from him...  

thanx..

<<First Page<Prev Page 3 of 6 Next> Last Page>>