ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Unknown manufacturer of 6L6GC

12/15/1998 8:03 AM
Nick
email
Unknown manufacturer of 6L6GC
RS - Electronics catalog offers  
6L6GC tubes ( around 10$ each),  
but manufacturer is uknown to  
me - NATIONAL ELECTRONICS .  
Anyone knows something about them ?  
Bye.  
P.S.  
I bought yesterday 4 NOS EL34 tubes.  
(really good price , 7$ each ).  
I can't see any other mark than  

PHILIPS  
EL34 .  

I would really appreciate any help.

12/15/1998 3:39 PM
Doc
email

It's hard to guess where the tubes were manufactured. Many tubes are sourced and re-boxed, and even re-branded. National used to keep the radio-TV repair shops supplied with needed replacement tubes, but were not a manufacturer.  

Some tube enthusiasts can look at the glass envelope shape, the internal structure, and the external markings to be pretty sure where (and when) the tube was produced.  

I would guess without looking at them, that for the price, they couldn't be anything but chinese or russian manufacture, but not any of the recently developed improved types like svetlana, for instance.

Monday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/15/1998 10:40 PM
Richie
email

Nick & Doc; A friend of mine had bought out a small music store,he had some National tubes, 6L6GC,I went to look at them, and they were made in russia. I thought they were National Union tubes[very different] But they looked ok,I didn't buy them because I could get better tubes cheaper than the National. Also if you ever try to sell any tubes to Antique Ele,they will buy National Union,but not "National". As for the Phillips they could have been made in different countries[yes you are right] Sounds like a bargin on the Phillips. [Richie]

12/15/1998 11:53 PM
Bruce
email

The 6V6GTAs I have from Natioanl Electronics were inported from Russia from Richardson.  
If you look closely at the tubes you can see the Russian.  
Suprisingly though 50% of them sound very very good and of the other 50% ...half sound crummy with weird distorion products mixed into the output signal and the other half blow up within 30 secons with +300v on the plates and any strong signal applied!  

Bruce

Page 1 of 1