ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

DIY Chassis

8/28/1998 4:40 AM
Mook
email
DIY Chassis
About 4 months ago, I posted a question on finding suitable materials for a home-made chassis.  

Basically, the end result was people said to go to my local Home Depot or other hardware store to find Angle brackets and other metal in which to create a chassis.  

Well, I've been to every hardware store within a radius of 50 miles of my house (Home Depot, Lowe's, Hechinger's, "Mom and Pop" stores) and I still cannot find suitable DIY chassis material(s).  

Certain people posted URLs of people/companies that offer production-type chassis, but I've forgotted these URLs.  

Therefore, I shall repost my question:  

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get/make/find material for a DIY chassis -- or any URLs of "pre-made" chasses?  

Thanks,  

Mook

8/28/1998 5:07 AM
D. Barber
email

I have been using Hammond enclosures for some time and have been happy with the results.....try one!

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/28/1998 8:29 AM
Mark Buckingham
email

I used a hammond aluminum chassis from mouser... It cost me around $25.00. It's pretty thin metal (040), but seems to be holding up pretty well. You can get steel also.  

(The aluminum is really easy to punch & drill)

8/28/1998 9:51 AM
Don Symes
email

Mojo sells some chassis with really nice descriptions. Kinda expensive, though.

8/28/1998 6:13 PM
Bill R.
email

I have a local sheet metal shop sell me a piece of .080 untempered aluminum cut to my specs. I drill/punch all the holes while it is still flat, and cut out the "corners" then take it back and have them bend the "edges" down to form the chassis. Total cost about $20. You could go one step further and have someone weld the corners or just use some 1" aluminum angle riveted/bolted inside the corners. Dont try to use old aluminum sign material it is tempered and will break when it is bent! (dont ask me how I know this).

8/29/1998 5:49 AM
Mook
email

Yeah, I already tried something like using the alumninum sign material.  

And when it breaks, you always cut your finger!  

And it doesn't Super Glue well either (don't ask me how I know this!)  

Mook

8/29/1998 10:17 AM
niek
email

Hi,  

I have made 2 chassis so far out of aluminium.  
They both have a simple U shape and I bent and cut them myself with ordinary tools.  

Before I bend the chassis I drill all holes I need. I am pleased with the result and aluminium is very easy to use when compared to steel. As far as screening is concerned alu seems to work fine, although I haven't tried any super high-gain circuits yet.  

Even Jim Marshall made the first few JTM45 chassis out of aluminium. They were hand-bent in his garage.  

Since alu is so cheap just give it a go !  

Good luck,  

Niek

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>