ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

History of Marshall book

2/19/1998 10:54 PM
adam
email
History of Marshall book
does anyone know how accurate the schematics in the History of Marshall book are? I want to try to build a 1959 amp and was thinking of using the schematic from there

2/25/1998 10:39 AM
Derrick
I have this book and use it regularly! It is great. Just make sure you use the write schmatics (ex. plexi/ealy aluminum/late seventies). Good luck...Derrick

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/7/1998 8:46 AM
Brendan
The metal panel Unicord schems are right on, because I compared the 1987 "Mark II" schem to the internals on my 1974 50 watt non-master amp and they were almost exact. Some of the figures for resistance of the feedback resistor and some other cathode resistors are shown with two different values on the schem, one in parenthesis. These are to reflect the different values when using 6550 rather than EL-34 output tubes.  

What is really cool are the hand drawn schems showing the older versions of 'plexi' type designs, particularly the 1959T, which is I think one of the first refinements to the super lead, in that some of the 'brightening' elements have been added, but not to the same extent as with the metal panels. My guess is that this is representative of the 1968-69 plexi, perhaps even late 1967. I have never seen these anywhere else.  

Those schems go along way towards explaining the guts that the earlier SL's had, and notice the filter cap arrangements as well, quite different from later models.  

Worth the price of admission.  

Good luck.

Page 1 of 1