Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  
previous: Nic Neufeld I just thought it would be easier a... -- 1/31/2003 5:45 PM View Thread

Re: Passive Crossover for guitar/bass?

1/31/2003 7:54 PM
anonymousRe: Passive Crossover for guitar/bass?
Unless you can find some specific solution, I think you could approach this problem in a similar way to bi-amping or tri-amping a stereo system.  
Most of these crossovers are fixed. You want variable frequency crossover points.  
This should give you an idea of concept of the fixed point type:  
There are pros and cons to any filter type, but to have control over the crossover frequency, most folks use the Sallen-Key type. Don Lancaster is the Sallen-Key guru. His book has good design info for this kind of task:  
Good article from ESP:  
After you have picked up a few buzz words, you might find something more specific on the net from a Google search.  
Most design info I have found is limited to the actual filtering circuit. Most filter designs want to be driven by a low impedance source so be sure to buffer the input with a voltage follower.  
Finally, be sure to control the gain of your crossover(s). You may have a net signal gain out of the crossover so make provision for attenuation at the output. A voltage divider on the front end of a voltage follower is a good way to do this.  
Good luck.