Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  
previous: Rob W. Transistor Dissipation- -- 12/14/1999 3:31 PM View Thread

Try mosfets instead

12/14/1999 10:27 PM
Stephen Conner
Try mosfets instead
Hi folks,  
Why not use a high-voltage MOSFET instead? There is a great selection of cheap devices thanks to switching power supplies, and they have no second breakdown at all. You should be able to sub one straight into the Aiken Amps circuit, the output will be a few volts less, but otherwise fine.  
When I needed to get rid of some plate volts I went a step further and built a series-pass regulator with MOSFETS. It also removes all the sag and gives a quite different sound. It is a bit too complex for most peoples' tastes though.