Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  
previous: John C. I'm not such a newby, but I remain ... -- 5/30/1999 7:22 PM View Thread

Re: How to connect pots and inputs/outputs

5/31/1999 5:19 AM
Michael Burgundy
Re: How to connect pots and inputs/outputs
certain places may not be replaced with non polarized,  
mainly those dealing with both positive and negative "lines"  
(I believe..)>  
Actaully it´s the other way around. Electrolytics can have high values in compact size at a low price, so theyre often used in powersupplies for filtering out any ripple (all those caps after diode-bridges, right?)  
They are sometimes used in signal paths, BUT; and here´s what polarized means; they only work one way. The + needs to go to one end, the - to the other. Swap them and the cap doesn´t work the way it should, and may get killed in the action (take care to NOT EVER do this in high-voltage supplies (such as tubeamp B+) ´cause the cap will most probably literally BLOW, scattering bits ´n pieces ´battery acid all over the place).  
So, since a non-polarized cap will work in both directions, you can use it (same value) as a replacement for a polarized one, not the other way around. The reason not all caps are non-polarized is economics; price and size vs. value.  
About pots; the middle lug is the wiper (the arrow on the schem/volume control; this goes to output) the lug on the clockwise side (topview) is "on" (volume control; this goes to signal) and the CCW one is "off" (volume control; this goes to mass)  
If you´re not sure as to where to place the outer two ones, just wire it in, see if you get the response you thought you would, and if not, swap them.  
Hope it helps.

Terry I am also building a dod envilope f... -- 5/31/1999 3:48 PM