Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  
previous: Erik M. Wood Has anyone ever heard of a company ... -- 7/18/1997 3:21 PM View Thread

Re: Anyone heard of Bogen Amps?

7/19/1997 9:26 PM
S.FillippRe: Anyone heard of Bogen Amps?
You bet! I'll bet three quarters of the  
small p.a. systems ever installed in  
schools, churches,and the like used  
Bogen amps. I used to play in a garage  
band in high school that used one for  
an organ amp, of all things. Most of the ones  
I ever saw were less than 50 watts, but they no  
doubt made bigger ones.  
The 70 volt tap is used for distributed  
speaker systems such as in a school where  
you have a speaker in every classroom, or  
lots of small speakers spread around a  
large room. Each speaker would have a transformer  
that matched the output of the amp to  
the speaker. I don't think it was ever used  
to drive separate amps. This is still  
pretty much the way that's done - look at  
most small p.a. mixer/amps intended for this  
type application, and chances are you'll find  
a 70V output along with the usual speaker outputs.  
I don't think this output is of much use otherwise.  
Schematics...don't know about that - there's  
an article by Joe Jasniewski that addresses  
conversion of P.A. and integrated amps into guitar amps  
If you haven't seen it, check it out, it's very  
informative and has lots of ideas on what to do  
with this kind of iron.  
His e-mail address is at the bottom of his  
article - as many of these types of amps as he  
has probably seen, he may be of some help.  
Sounds like fun! Good luck, Steve Fillipp

Steve M. Hi,I have a Bogen CHB-100 c... -- 7/21/1997 1:33 PM