ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

brittle mags

5/30/2006 4:09 PM
Mick brittle mags
Tapping A5 rod mags into flatwork with a soft brass drift yesterday and a couple of the mags just crumbled , is this common ? or anyone else had this problem . I was thinking that because they are cast that maybe a couple of them could have been a bit hollow where the metal didn't quite flow properly?.  
Mick

5/30/2006 4:26 PM
Spence
email

It's not normal for them to be so brittle. I use a hammer with a plastic face on it though so I know the plastic will give first.

5/30/2006 5:10 PM
GTarman
I have had a few crack under normal tension, so I dont really know but I dont think they are supposed to be brittle, actually they are pretty hard as far as the hardness scale goes.

5/30/2006 5:56 PM
Mick
These just fell apart , I'll keep an eye on it , Spence , does the plastic hammer do the job good? does the plastic part of the hammer last ok? I was thinking of using one of those but thought that it would be rootered in no time?,  
Mick

5/30/2006 6:31 PM
Dave Stephens
Who is your supplier? This sounds like bad product, low quality crap...

5/31/2006 5:54 AM
Spence
email

Occassionally I run the face of the plastic hammer end over my belt sander, but I've been using it for ten years and it's still fine.  
I have thought about using an arbor press too especially as this is what Fender would have used. However, an arbor press will not give the same release as beating shite out of something with a hammer. I rest my case.

5/30/2006 6:46 PM
Joe Gwinn
email

On 5/30/2006 10:09 PM, Mick said:  
quote:
"Tapping A5 rod mags into flatwork with a soft brass drift yesterday and a couple of the mags just crumbled , is this common ? or anyone else had this problem. I was thinking that because they are cast that maybe a couple of them could have been a bit hollow where the metal didn't quite flow properly?."
Alnico is pretty brittle, but one would think it would survive a little TLC. Was the alnico cast or sintered powder? Undersintered powder can have perfectly fine magnetic properties, and yet be friable.  

As for using a drift and hammer, one can buy a small no-name import arbor press from MSC for something like $25.00, and an arbor press is far easier to control.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>