ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Ok What the hell is up with this pickup?

5/26/2006 4:55 PM
GTarman. Ok What the hell is up with this pickup?
I have been doing test winds all day and my brain is fried. The bridge pickup on my strat has stratitis, pickup too close you say, nope, tried it way low and close, same thing. Clean it sounds great, under distortion stratitis to hell and back. At this point i'm ready to throw the damn guitar out the freakin window and set the thing on fire. Anybody else know what the hell might be up????

5/26/2006 5:29 PM
Mick
What sort of pickup is it , hot , mild etc , really powerfull mags? don't throw your guitar , you will regret it , I threw my guild through the back door glass , it did look spectacular but I have regreted it ever since , is it just the one pickup or all you have tried ?  
Mick ,

5/26/2006 6:41 PM
GTarman.
It's every stinkin one I have wound. The only thing I have done different is I hooked up the bridge pickup on the neck terminal on the 5 way switch just so I can run it through the tone pot. The pickup is about 6.5K on all runs of them, some milder some hotter.

5/26/2006 5:55 PM
Mick
Strings ok? I mean do they need changing?  
Mick

5/26/2006 6:42 PM
GTarman.
Nah, they are about 2 weeks old. I'm going to fool around wih it more and see if i can change anything.

5/27/2006 8:02 AM
David Schwab

How does it sound with the tone rolled down? Sometimes too much high end gives a weird "blatty" distorted tone. Try using a small value cap to roll off some highs.  

I had a very strange experience recently. A customer of mine brought me his Strat that has Duncan Cool and Hot Rails in it. The Cool Rail in the neck position was really loud and bassy... more so than the Hot Rail at the bridge. He installed this himself. He had it so low that it almost fell off the screws and into the guitar. It was REALLY loud!  

I took DCR readings on it, and it seemed ok. Then I noticed that the hot lead of one of the coils was melted and accidentally soldered to the magnet on the bottom. Removing that fixed the problem.  

Makes me wonder what was actually going on though!

5/27/2006 6:19 PM
Dave Stephens
It isn't just the bridge if its a strat, stratitis is a combination of the pull of all 3 pickups. Drop the neck way down low and middle way down low and it'll go away. Keep the bass sides lower and slowly put them back up, its a balancing act.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>