ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Black Paper Tape Options

5/23/2006 3:53 PM
Jon Gundry
email
Black Paper Tape Options
I thought I would share what I have found so far for black paper tapes.  

First is Permacel P-248 and P-236. This is specifically for electrical use but it is coated with polyester film which gives it a shiny plastic appearance. It is impossible to tear.  

The next one is Intertape brand PB1 or PB-1. It looks right, has a solvent based natural rubber adhesive and is water resistant. But not designed for electrical use.  

The final one is a mystery tape that I ordered a sample of. I have not seen it but assume it will look like any other craft paper tape. It is intended to release well without leaving a residue. It comes in 1/4" widths. The black is not a Permacel tape according to this site but a suitable substitute. Here is a link.  
http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/14papertape.html

5/23/2006 5:13 PM
GTarman
Hi And Thank you Jon. Please post your findings when you get the mystery roll in. Can you order just 1 roll to check it out or did they make you buy a minimum?

5/23/2006 7:12 PM
Jon Gundry
email

They do have a $15.00 minimum order.

5/28/2006 5:55 PM
Jon Gundry
email

He is another possible option. Book binding tape. I have not seen this stuff yet but it might be an option. It looks like they will do custom cut sizes. sizes.http://www.americanprintingequipment.com/bookbindingtape.htm

5/31/2006 10:58 AM
Hummer
Why on earth would you want a tape that "releases well"...I am more for "never, ever releases, even after 20 years of sweaty palms".

5/31/2006 11:44 AM
Spence
email

Why? Because if you offer a warranty, it would be nice to get the tape off a knackered bobbin without ripping through the coil wire.

5/31/2006 1:20 PM
Jon Gundry
email

I got the 1/4" tape from the movie supply place and it looks good. Almost identical appearance to the Stewart Mac stuff except it sticks better, is thicker and is way, way cheaper. It says Permacel Mfd. Shurtape on the core.  

The tapes that I have on hand are this black film supply house tape, some Intertape crepe paper tape. Permacel paper/poly tape made for coil wrapping, 3M #235 and the Stewart Mac Union tape. Of all of these the only reliable DC resistance reading is the Stewart Mac tape at 475K. Everything else kept the meter searching for a reading in the 1.8Meg neighborhood. The #235 tape I have does not seem to be any more conductive than the Permacel electrical tape. I think my #235 tape is pretty old so if the specs. changed then maybe the new stuff is more conductive.  

Some observations, of all of these samples both the Stewart Mac tape and the #235 tape appears to have adhesive that is tinted black. All of the rest either have a clear adhesive or a milky white adhesive.  

After looking at all of the options the Stewart Mac tape seems to be the worst of the bunch.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>