ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Using Wood Glue to Pot Pickups?

5/28/2006 4:36 PM
Steve Dallman
email
Re: Using Wood Glue to Pot Pickups?
My pot is a small, cheap coffee percolator. It has a temp control and that stays on the lowest setting. Plugged into my Variac set at 55vac and it stays at 150 degrees. I used to work at a dairy manufacturing plant, and when it closed, got a couple very good thermometers, so monitoring the temp is accurate. I've done countless pickups and not a deformed bobbin yet.

5/30/2006 1:36 PM
David Schwab
email

On 5/23/2006 11:34 PM, Paul D. said:  

quote:
"Correct, DiMarzio didn't pot the Model P - which is why I had to do it!"

But my point was they don't need it! I used DiM P's for years on stage at high volume, and I used to like to stand up against the amp and get feedback (I had a wammy bar on my fretless PJ type bass) and I never got any squealing.

6/3/2006 6:53 AM
Paul D.
email

I can't help myself - I gotta "over-engineer" everything I touch!  
-Paul D.

6/5/2006 5:03 PM
David Schwab
email

On 6/3/2006 6:53 AM, Paul D. said:  
quote:
"I can't help myself - I gotta "over-engineer" everything I touch!"

Careful with that! You might engineer all your tone away!  

I over-built some basses, and it took them a while to start to loosen up and sound as good as some of the lighter basses.

6/9/2006 3:30 AM
Ken
I have the same problem...  

my buddy says, 'Sometimes in order to release the product you have to shoot the engineer'. I think he  
was saying that if you make things too perfect you lose the thing that could make your project great. Did you ever make a mistake while doing something, and have your work turn out better than you had hoped?  

Ken

6/9/2006 3:13 PM
David Schwab
email

On 6/9/2006 3:30 AM, Ken said:  

quote:
"Did you ever make a mistake while doing something, and have your work turn out better than you had hoped?"

Yes! I think that's how many inventions happen!  

Back about 12 years ago I started designing a bass. I spent many months on the body shape, which kept morphing, until it was totally different than what I started with. Once I froze that shape, I worked out how I was going to build the bass in detail. Only after I had it figured out from start to finish, did I begin the building process.  

Along the way, many things happened that made me pause and rethink what I was doing. Some where accidents, which I had to fix, and some where just ideas that would come to me and show me a new way to proceed.  

I always like to say that the bass helped me build it... something guided me through the process as I was doing it!  

With my latest bass pickup design, after the first design didn't work as well as I wanted, I just made arbitrary changes based on feelings I had. As I was making the pickup, things weren't coming out as I planed, so I kept following the muse as it were. In the end, its a great sounding pickup!  

I think as creative people, we need to keep open to the creative process, and not get in its way! Go with the flow... we can easily over-think something.

<<First Page<Prev Page 3 of 3