ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Using Wood Glue to Pot Pickups?

5/20/2006 9:26 PM
Paul D.
Using Wood Glue to Pot Pickups?
I'm thinking of trying diluted wood glue to pot pickups. Is this a crazy idea? I'm asking because I recently ruined a very nice DiMarzio P-Bass pickup because I had the wax too hot and the bobbin deformed.  
Cheers,  
-Paul D.

5/20/2006 10:27 PM
Roscoe
I wouldn't because of the water content. Try 150 degrees on the wax and keep the pickup away from the bottom. Other than that it's something like shellac, laquer, etc.

5/21/2006 1:38 AM
Greg Simon
The wood glue is also water soluable. I wouldn't.  

Greg

5/21/2006 7:26 AM
Dave K

Go with the double boiler method to better control the temp - it's much easier to maintain a constant temp with a small pot of wax in a larger pot of water kept at 150F.

5/21/2006 6:11 PM
Dave Stephens
anything with water in it won't dry for a long time and water will dull the tone of your pickup dramatically in a bad way

5/22/2006 3:36 AM
Paul D.

OK, you've convinced me!  
Thanks Guys.

5/22/2006 3:50 PM
Zhangliqun

The Stew Mac glue pot works great for wax potting. It's self-regulating on the temperature so you just plug it in, wait for the wax to melt, and then unplug when you're done. No muss, no fuss. It's about $120 but it's worth it for the set-it-and-forget-it aspect.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>