ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Rickenbacker Toaster Specs

5/20/2006 2:36 PM
Robert Dines
Rickenbacker Toaster Specs
Anyone know the following abouth Rickenbacker Toaster pickups:  
Anybody make one?  
Single coil or humbacker?  
Resistance or # of winds?  
Magnet specs?  
I want to use one on a bass I want to make.  
Thanks'  
Rob

5/21/2006 1:52 AM
Greg Simon
There is a guy by the name of Sergio on the Rickenbacker Forum who rewinds the toasters and other RIC pickups. You can see the site below. (First link) This particular site is an EXCELLENT source for info about Rickenbackers, and the president/CEO of Rickenbacker sometimes posts there too. Also just a friendly warning....Rickenbacker keeps a VERY tight reign on their trademarks and will go after people who try to copy their guitars or pickups or shapes, etc. and sell them. You can buy a toaster pickup direct from Rickenbacker and their dealers for around $125 each I think. Check it out on their site.  

The original 50's toasters were a different spec than the 60's ones, being a little lower on the DC resistance. The 50's ones were around 5-6k, and the 60's ones were 7-8k. They discontinued the toaster in the early 70's, then brought them back on their reissues in the 80's. The 80's and 90's ones are hotter, around 12k or so. Around '99 or so, they began to scatterwind the toasters to vintage specs, aiming for around 7.4k, and they are still made that way today. They are single coil pickups, with alnico slugs in the middle of the bobbin like a Strat, but the magnet slugs are bigger in diameter, and extend below the pickup quite a bit. The bobbin is squat like a P90, but is wider than a Strat or Tele bobbin. They have always used 44 gauge wire on RIC pickups according to their president. No idea what formulation the wire is. I think Dave and I decided the magnets were Alnico 2, but I can't recall and we would have to check them again with his gauss meter to find out. Could also ask their president too I suppose. He might divulge that info.  

On a bass, I actually prefer the look of the toaster pickup, but I like the sound of their button top hi-gain pickup better. The Sergio guy and another guy on that forum named Jeff Rath will cut off the button tops on the hi-gain pickups and put a toaster cover on them so they look nicer, but still have the hotter sound. I have one of these from Jeff Rath but haven't used it yet. The hi-gain pickups have changed over the years too, but they are what you would find in a modern 4003 RIC bass. They also make a nice humbucker pickup that sounds great. You can buy all of them too.  

Greg  

http://forum.rickresource.com/  
http://www.rickenbacker.com/

5/21/2006 8:29 AM
Robert Dines

Many thanks for the reply. Waiting to gat approved for the Rickenbacker non company forum. Jeef Rath and Sergio both post alot. Hmmmmm so how do I disguise a Ric???? Now to learn about High Gains, button tops, etc. I found a replacement Duncan Basslines the appears to be 4 conductor with 2 bobbins for the brige and a cover neck pickup.Maybe a switch to change poarities. Resistance is in the mid 8K range. Gosh tinkering is so fun.  
Rob

5/21/2006 8:00 PM
Greg Simon
Yeah Jeff Rath and Sergio do post a lot. Others do too. Its a great site with lots of friendly people who are passionate about RICS.  

I made a copy of a RIC 4001 bass from scratch myself, and used all RIC parts on it. I have another one that is halfway done that I need to fix a couple mistakes on, again using all RIC parts, although the bridge pickup is going to be a Lollar horseshoe replacement (which I already have) for this one. I patterned the copies after a 1973 RIC 4001 that I had that needed lots of work. Once I finished my copy I sold the RIC.  

The Duncan RIC replacement pickups aren't anything like the RIC pickups and don't sound that great to my ears.  

Greg

5/22/2006 6:04 AM
Robert Dines

Just got my registration confirmation for thats forum. My son, who plays bass in a LA based band, is desirous of a Tuxedo with black binding. It is amazing that so many designs are based on this body. Assymetric lower body bouts. Swooping upper horn and just a nice looking chunk of wood. Thanks for the heads up on the SD pu's. FYI when I complete this bass, it will be played through a modified, read recapped, Orange head. Serious crunch time.  
Thanks again,  
Rob

5/22/2006 11:16 AM
cannot be traced
quote:
"I made a copy of a RIC 4001 bass from scratch myself, and used all RIC parts on it."
hmm...JH hates you...

5/22/2006 12:14 PM
Greg Simon
Yeah, he's seen pics of it. He probably isn't happy but since it is just for my own use, and I won't ever sell it, its ok.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>