ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

If pickup makers made pots...

:
5/17/2006 1:52 AM
Hummer If pickup makers made pots...
If pickup makers made pots, what you make for a strat?  

Log Taper, Linear, Graphic?/ Modified Log Taper??  

Interested in your thoughts.  

Hummer

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

5/17/2006 5:36 AM
Steve A.
Not a pickup maker, but here are my thoughts on pot taper for volume control:  

if you mainly set your volume turning down from 10, a linear taper gives you more control. However if you want to turn it up from 0 and use "volume swell" effects you probably want to use a log taper.  

Theoretically you should be able to get the same sounds from either pot; the different tapers may just make it harder to dial in a particular setting.  

Just my 2 cents worth...  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. So if someone offers you a penny for your thoughts and you put in your 2 cents worth, where does the extra penny come from??? :D

5/18/2006 4:19 AM
Hummer
"P.S. So if someone offers you a penny for your thoughts and you put in your 2 cents worth, where does the extra penny come from??? :D"  

You can make money by thinking, a wise man said...  

Interesting about the volume swell thing? What does Knopfler use? What other players are "Kings of Swell" - it would interesting to know their mods...  

I've heard from Noah James that Ibanez use "G" tapers on some instruments - any experience with them?  

Also Dimarzio pots are supposed to be a modified taper that is good for both volume and tone?? Anyone venture a guess as to what this might be?  

I am thinking of putting in an order for a couple of thousand pots so I am just asking around before ordering the plain vanilla 250kA Log tapers.  

Alpha pots don't have a good solderable rear cover I find, but offer more resistance than CTS (which I like).

5/17/2006 7:10 AM
David Schwab

Log taper is what is supposed to be used for audio, and it does have to do with it sounding linear to our ears.  

Being that audio taper pots can be hard to find, I've used linear taper many times for volume pots.  

I never found a problem with them. I usually have my volume all the way up anyway. :)

5/17/2006 10:15 AM
Hummer
Hi David,  

Why do find log taper pots hard to find? I find linear taper pots hard to find!  

Hummer

5/17/2006 10:41 AM
Roscoe
Yep, I can find audio taper anytime. 300k linear taper for a Les Paul is a different story.

5/17/2006 11:40 AM
DMW
CE Distribution, the wholesale side of Antique Radio Supply, is a good source for audio and linear taper pots. They stock CTS and Alpha.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>