ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Anyone seen Don Mares site?

:
4/8/2006 4:05 PM
snooker Anyone seen Don Mares site?
The reason I ask is he states something about the buldge in the middle of a pickup making the mids more pronounced. I find that I can vary the tension and get the mids like I want them. Have'nt tried the buldge theroy, anyone else tried it and what were the results. I dont have the time to try it just yet.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

4/8/2006 4:17 PM
Mickey Boy
Yeah , I saw that too , haven't tried it myself , I'm reluctant to believe anything on someone else's site , I think Dave Stevens mentioned something about it months ago and that it seems to make little difference , I think he mentioned P90's as an example of not being able to control this as the coil is too narrow , dunno though , would you say a P90 has a mid strong tone?  
Mick

4/8/2006 4:18 PM
snooker
I know it wont work on a P90, been there done that. It seems no matter how i try to wind it it doesnt change much, I think with A P90 the biggest change is the amount of windings, wire type and size.

4/8/2006 4:21 PM
snooker
Sorry forgot to reply to the last part. Yes I think P90's are naturally mid strong due to the coil size. Think about a Jazz Master, the bobbin on those are even skinier than a P90, at least the old ones are, about an eighth inch for the coil, they are more mids pronounced than a P90.

4/8/2006 4:41 PM
Mickey Boy
So maybe a " fatter" coil would produce more mids then? maybe there is something more to it?  
Mick

4/8/2006 7:31 PM
Dave Stephens
I did post on that subject awhile back. The actual reason those pickups have a bulge in the middle (sometimes) is when you are hand winding a pickup like those ladies did, they didn't have any wire stop guides so they would wind mostly in the middle to avoid snagging the wire on the bobbin ends which is easy to do if you wind that way. Then they would go back real slowly and fill in the ends. So they stayed away from the ends of the coil and so some of them come out with a bulge in the middle. Also the machine wound ones they would set the end limits slightly away from the bobbin ends and this could also result in a coil with middle bulge. Does it have any effect? I don't honestly know and no one has proven it either way. I once tried winding a coil with heavy build up on the ends and little in the middle and didn't really hear any difference. A coil with a bulg does look pretty and the vintage guys like it, but go look at some early 50s strat pickups, there is so much wire on those things you can't bulge the middle if you want to get the covers on and you just don't see that in early strat pickups at all that I've ever seen. that it has an effect on tone I think is another unsubstantiaded myth. But hey try it and see if you can hear a difference, wind two coils the same turn count and do one with an equally flat sided coil and one with an exaggerated bulge in the middle and see if you can hear any difference. This would be best on a tall coil for this kind of test a shorter coil you're just not going to have much of an effect.......

4/8/2006 7:49 PM
snooker
Hi Dave, glad to see you back posting again! Yeah I dont know if it makes a difference or not. You are right on the short coils, no change on those it seems no matter what you do.

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>