ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

wait, that may not be right

:
4/8/2006 4:16 PM
snooker wait, that may not be right
I just thought about something, if the screws are long enough to go through both bobbins that would make the dummy coil the same polarity as the top due to the poles being in the bottom it would be active as well. I think maybe short screws just long enough to go through the top one and touch the magnets will be the way to do it. Look at fenders noiseless older models, the magnets are only in the main coil, the dummy coil is just attatched to the bottom of the top coil with no mags.

4/8/2006 4:24 PM
Mickey Boy
Oh , is the bottom coil a " dummy ", for some reason I was thinking of it along the same lines as a normal bucker but wasn't sure if the mags in the middle would change things , I,m going to do one today and see what happens ,  
Mick

4/8/2006 4:39 PM
snooker
Cool, let me know how things turn out. I'm almost sure if the screws go through both bobbins it will not be right. But who am I to know, never tried it.

4/9/2006 8:18 AM
David Schwab
Re: P100
I've not made any P-100's, but I did once stack two Gibson humbuckers on top of each other. I put the magnets on the bottom of the coils, and was able to wire them up to get both the regular humbucker tone, and with a pair of the stacked coils, it sounded like a single coil, but didn't hum. I used two sets of screw poles, both going down to the magnet. So I think you can go either way... magnets in the middle or bottom.  

This was back in the late 70's. Looking back on it, I probably made something new! It's funny how many things I used to think up for pickups, but they didn't really seem usable, that someone else got a patent on. That should be a lesson to all of us!  

Also those were old Gibson patent decal pickups... probably worth some money now! I just found one of the bobbins the other day...

4/9/2006 4:03 PM
Mickey Boy
Weren't the patent decal pickups the ones just after the PAF's?

4/10/2006 8:28 AM
David Schwab

quote:
"Weren't the patent decal pickups the ones just after the PAF's?"

Yes *sigh*  

Keep in mind that stuff that is vintage now, was just old "used" parts back in the 70's! These two humbuckers came out of a very old (50's) Les Paul. It started its life as a gold top with P-90's and a stop tail bridge. Before my friend got hold of it, it had been refinished to a dark brown, and the P-90's were replaced with these humbuckers.  

My friend had the guitar refinished natural and replaced the stock Gibson pickups for DiMarzio PAF's, which had just come out.  

I did the work on the guitar. I hate to say it, but the DiMarzios actually sounded better!  

Looking back on it, I wish I kept the Gibson pickups intact. I had some old P-90's from an SG too. I rewound them with less windings to make them sound like the dogear P-90's I had in an ES-330.  

As they say... hind sight is 20/20.

4/10/2006 1:36 PM
Steve A.

Mick:  

I've had 3 P-100 pickups from different years and they were all wired in parallel. I believe that they first came out with the neck pickup, which had two 12.5k coils for a net resistance of 6.25k in the factory parallel configuration:  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/articles/blue_gtr/gtr/paul_jr.pdf  

When I got a Gibson Les Paul Special Junior (or Junior Special???) in 2003 it used a different P-100 for the bridge, with a net DC resistance of ~19k. You'd think that it would be two 9.5k coils wired in series but as I recall it used parallel wiring:  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/articles/blue_gtr/gtr/lp_jr_spec_mod.pdf  

To sum up my articles, my first P-100 was a neck pickup mounted at the bridge of an Epi LP Junior in 1999, and what worked was cutting the leads to the bottom coil. This trick did not work well with my LP Special Jr, so I ended up adding resistors and capacitors to the second coil. The last I checked Gibson was only offering the neck P-100 as an aftermarket pickup.  

HTH  

Steve Ahola

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 2