ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Music Man bass pickup specs

4/5/2006 5:20 AM
MK
email
Music Man bass pickup specs
Hi,  

Can anyone provide some specs on Music Man bass pickups. Note: I'm interested in the original pre Ernie Ball pickup. I know the Duncan site has some info, but I don't think that the specs are from the original pickup.  

I'm assuming  

- alnico 5 magnets, I'll be using a diameter of 9mm  
- 42 awg wire  

The info I'd like is:  

- turn count  
- bobbin width  
- bobbin height  
- core width  
- core length  
- core height  
- wire diameter  

or anything else you can provide would much appreciated. I suppose I'm asking a lot, but I need a starting point since I can't get a hold of these and haven't been able to find any info on the original bobbin design anywhere.  

Regards,  

Michael

4/5/2006 7:10 PM
MK
email

Anyone?

4/9/2006 4:02 PM
MK
email

Ok, anyone know the length of the magnet?  

I just found the same thread I posted on the old forum. Here is what I have so far:  

- 8k humbucker, 4k per coil  
- alnico 5 rod magnets  

The Seymour Duncan specs follow (SMB4A alnico, SMB4D ceramic magnets), but the SMB4A specs follow:  

Magnet: alnico II  
Diameter: .390 inch (~9.906 mm)  
Length: ?  
Resistance: 4.18K per coil (DC resistance full), 9.90KHz in parallel (resonant peak tapped)  

Regards,  

Michael

4/9/2006 6:10 PM
Ron
I found a couple of the MM magnets that I have lying around from a prospective project. They measure .376" dia., .628" long, alnico 5. They were taken from a music man pickup. Whether it was "original MM", I can't say for sure. That's measured with a good micrometer.  
Ron

4/9/2006 6:13 PM
MK
email

Hi Ron,  

That's excellent, thanks for the info. Can you also tell me the actual height of the inner part of the coil (ie. the core height)?  

If you're up to it, any other bobbin dimensions would be much appreciated.  

Regards,  

Michael

4/9/2006 7:25 PM
Mickey Boy
So would the info on where these bobbins are for sale in Australia? What , is it a secret?  
Mick

4/9/2006 9:48 PM
Ron
Sorry, that's all I have now. I guess if you knew the thickness of the cover top, and bobbin material thickness, you could subtract the total from the magnet heighth to get the inside coil heighth...Maybe?  
Ron

Page 1 of 5 Next> Last Page>>