ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

counter for pickup winder

:
3/31/2006 9:12 PM
sploar
counter for pickup winder
I'm trying to make a pickup winder and I'm having trouble figuring out the counter/reed switch/magnet set up. Does the speed of the winder dictate what counter and reed switch I use? Or will they all keep up with unlimited rpm speed of the winder? Or can anyone tell me which counter and switch they bought? And what speed is a good speed to wind at? Thanks in advance!

4/1/2006 11:21 AM
kugua
you can use cd4511 and cd4510 ic to make a counter,(search on web)and build a rotate speed circuit ,this is the signal source circuit .

4/1/2006 11:43 AM
Jon Gundry

The best solution I found was to buy a Red Lion Cub 4 counter with lithium battery power. They can be found refurbished for $30.00 - $40.00. They have a debounce circuit built into them that works up to 5,000 RPM. I forget the mouser reed switch part number but I found the number from someone else's winder specs. on the internet. I epoxied a tiny 3/16" rare earth magnet I got from Radio Shack to the winder base plate to activate the reed switch with each revolution. I works like a charm.

4/1/2006 4:52 PM
Joe Gwinn

On 4/1/2006 6:43 PM, Jon Gundry said:  
quote:
"The best solution I found was to buy a Red Lion Cub 4 counter with lithium battery power. They can be found refurbished for $30.00 - $40.00. "
I've also been using a Club3, the one which which runs off two alkaline "N" cells, which are replacable. The counter costs $28 new from Digi-Key (#RLC-04-ND, on page 1718 of their Jan-Apr 2006 catalog).  

quote:
"They have a debounce circuit built into them that works up to 5,000 RPM. I forget the mouser reed switch part number but I found the number from someone else's winder specs. on the internet."
Almost any normally-open reed switch will do. Lots of options are in the Digi-Key catalog, on pages 1446-1449. Magnets too.  

For instance, part number HE502-ND (switch, $0.78) plus HE510-ND (alnico magnet, $1.24) or HE153-ND (rare earth? magnet, $1.24).  

quote:
"I epoxied a tiny 3/16" rare earth magnet I got from Radio Shack to the winder base plate to activate the reed switch with each revolution. It works like a charm."
One can also get mounted switches with hookup-wire leads for small dollars - see page 1447-1448 to see the options.  

At the low power of the CLUB3 circuit, a reed switch is good for billions of operations, so the switch will likely outlive the winder.  

For general info on reed switches:  

<http://www.hamlin.com/index.aspx?tabindex=3&tabid=7&mid=33099>

4/1/2006 6:01 PM
micen2

I have a radio shack reed switch....it counts nicely up to bout 400 rpm's then it just starts skipping counts......also a good cheap counter can be gotten from kessler ellis prodcts....the "mini kal" is like 14 lousy bucks(a real cheap investment thats wound me accurately for quite a while now)....I rigged a resetable switch to mine.

4/1/2006 6:55 PM
sploar

Yeah, that's what I've seen, that some counters only go to like 600 rpm (and then they would start miscounting as far as I can see). I would like to wind at maybe 1000-1500 rpm or so, and I was wondering what would work with the faster set up. I do have a bunch of reed switches and a counter now (although I don't have the right power supply). I've seen some Cub 3's for cheap, maybe I'll go with that. Thanks for your input!  

Steve

4/2/2006 12:30 PM
Joe Gwinn

On 4/2/2006 1:55 AM, sploar said:  
quote:
"Yeah, that's what I've seen, that some counters only go to like 600 rpm (and then they would start miscounting as far as I can see). I would like to wind at maybe 1000-1500 rpm or so, and I was wondering what would work with the faster set up. I do have a bunch of reed switches and a counter now (although I don't have the right power supply). I've seen some Cub 3's for cheap, maybe I'll go with that. Thanks for your input!"
Reed switches are very fast. Even a slow one switches in a millisecond, and the little switches in ~1/3 millisecond. The CUB3 is rated to 100 counts per second (6000 RPM), so each turn would be 10 milliseconds minimum.  

It sounds like the magnet isn't strong enough, or actuates the reed for too small a portion of a turn, so at high speed the reed doesn't see enough of a magnetic variation to switch.  

That said, it will take some fiddling to find the right mechanical setup to get a reed switch count to 6000 rpm.  

I didn't try to do this, instead using an optical encoder, because I also wanted the 500 counts-per-turn output. I get up to 1,700 rpm with the present setup, far faster than I can wind without wire breakage. The limit is the winder, not the enc oder and counter.

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>