ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

sound like what? (to the newbie tone seeker)

:
3/24/2006 7:31 AM
micen2
sound like what? (to the newbie tone seeker)
To the new or intermediate tone seekers......I have to say...all this question and mention of what will it sound like if i make it like this...or what is best for my guitar....  

I'd like to mention..something , I think fralin was quoted saying....only knows of one fella who hated his pickups, they were lifeless...he asked him what was the guitar made of ?...he replied, mahogany, with some really hard wood for the fingerboard and neck....he chuckles and says well...it may as well been made from marble.  

*laughing thru nose,.,. well more resonate woods....softer or harder fret wire...the cavity routing...the finish on the axe....playing style....pick(or not)...alot of factors go into this "sound" thing. What I or someone else likes for tone could get you on your way....  

If you wanna sound like your fave player...it's not enough to have the signature axe...you gotta play the axe like them too...and when you find that mentality...is when(by the grace of god and good mojo of the universe) you'll begin to find your own sound. Then you'll realise how "stock" sounding these retail "custom" axes sound, compared to what you can fashion with alittle love of tone, and years of passion. (the pickups are a big part of tone...and you can make better ones than the ones in your axe with alittle practice)  

Although these artisans here are very smart, and give great advice(which many here do)..... in the end its preference...be honest with your ears...they no best.  

It is so fun to wind your own pickups....my buddy said...it's exciting when you start aranging molecules on your own axe....lol true that yo.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

3/26/2006 4:54 AM
Hard Tack
"lifeless" is a good description..........

3/26/2006 10:48 AM
micen2

of fralins?

3/26/2006 1:19 PM
Steve Dallman

We have a guitar player at the store I work at whose room is back to back with my work area, so I hear him practicing and teaching.  

He generally uses a Schecter Strat with EMG's and a couple EMG modules. Occasionally he'll use an Eric Johnson Strat he just bought.  

He uses a pair of cheap Crate 15 watt practice amps, one for him and one for his student.  

He is one of the best guitar players I've heard. He learns songs his students want to learn, and he teaches the kids how to play them.  

Any given day he'll teach material from Hendrix, Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, SRV, Allman Bros, Ted Nugent, Jimi Page, and a few of the nu-metal and other current bands.  

I'm amazed that this guitar player can nail the touch and tone of whatever player's material he's teaching. All this through a crappy Crate practice amp. His Schectors are pretty versatile with all the tone shaping electronics but he pulls the same tones out of that EJ Strat. I've worked on his Schectors and all I can say is that in my hands, the EMG's sound flat and rather lifeless. The various boosts and eq modules add some variation to the rather flat and lifeless tone. In Dennis' hands they come alive.  

And I can hear that even when his students get the notes down, they don't approach the feel and tone of the original players.  

There's a lot to be said about the skill, experience, touch and feel regardless of the guitar, amp, strings, etc. This particular guitar player owns a host of vintage Fenders and Marshalls, but gigs with a Line 6 Vetta. He says the Line 6 may not nail the tones of his old amps, but they it gets 80% there, and the versatility trumps the use of the vintage amps.

3/26/2006 7:11 PM
Hard Tack
yes Fralins.........

3/27/2006 5:29 AM
micen2

I have a set of fralins....I think (although for me it's hard to say...because hand wounds could be flukey at times...and what with only only one pair) ...But mine sound bell clear....a little too bright sounding for me though....but again just preference. They do have evenly spread dynamics tho...just a litlle bright for me...I have the vintage hot set. Maybe I would have been happier with the real 54's ??who nos. I'd say the ones I have are good....just not me.... I put my own in my straties after all.

3/27/2006 7:20 AM
Mark Hammer

Last year, my wife bought me the DVD of Jimi Hendrix on the Dick Cavett Show. It has several interviews and 3 musical numbers. In one, Hendrix is playing with the house band, through a Flying V into an Ampeg B-15 or some similar amp borrowed from the band. None of the pedals associated with him are in evidence, yet is is unmistakably Hendrix' sound and tone. In another segment, recorded in the September just after Woodstock, he plays through a more typical setup with his own band, and the tone is identical. It was entirely in his fingers, not his gear.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>