ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: here's a topic....

:
3/11/2006 7:29 AM
Serious Goose Re: here's a topic....
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V21B21C3C  

Got the routing idea from an article in Bass Player magazine years ago. They routed a Jazz out the bottom.  

Mine is routed out the top and uses spring terminal blocks for the pu leads, which you can install with one hand. I cut a whole stack of those pguards at once [clamped to the base of a miter saw] so I have every common combo, and sometimes I just use a ball of double-sided tape for half-finished or oddball pickups.  

The controls are wired to be simple, flexible.  

The pickguards are held on with wing bolts in threaded inserts. I also have a hacked-off tele baseplate that I tape in place flush with the bridge plate you see in the pic.  

When I test pickups that are for a 24.75" scale guitar I tune down 1/2 step and capo 1st fret. Gets the vibe.  

I have a bass like this, too - routed out the bottom. The routes are much more elaborate on the bass, b/c they are composites of several different pu types. For that kind of routing, make a plywood template first. For the kind on the guitar, just tape a 2x4 to the top of the guitar to get a straight line.  

This stuff is not rocket science. You just have to to think of what you are trying to do completely apart from the musical instrument.

3/11/2006 9:32 PM
micen2

lots of great ideas guys :) my router's spinning in my head as i think hmmm...

3/11/2006 9:24 PM
micen2

yea ake.....thats what i was thinking...something like that maybe....maybe i'll buy a sqier and chop it like that

3/11/2006 9:20 PM
micen2

how would you strum over the pickup?

3/11/2006 10:45 AM
SK

I use a POS guitar routed out from behind and "speaker terminal blocks" for the connections. The pickguard has been mangled somewhat as well to allow mounting most pickups into most positions. The mounting screws use neoprene tubing for springs which holds them into the pickguard and keeps them from vibrating when not in use..To test a pickup simply line it up with the mounting screws thru the back, adjust height, clip in the wires.

3/11/2006 9:28 PM
micen2

mmm thats an idea....so the axe has a hole right thru it if the pickgaurd was off.....very good idea .....at least just to test....the sound would be alittle semihollow...but maybe some foam on the back of the pickgaurd to dampen a bit...yea i've been using speaker clips to test for a while now....those work well...

<<First Page<PrevPage 3 of 3