ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

What does Alnico IV sound like?

:
2/27/2006 8:24 PM
Andrew C
What does Alnico IV sound like?
It seems we've been asking this question on the forum for years! For those interested we know have some soundfiles on our website: www.tonerider.com  

To my ears it has that Gary Moore/Led Zepp cut with a little more dryness than A5. What do you guys think?  

Also can anyone suggest a good pre-amp for recording pickup sound files, that doesn't color the tone too much and doesn't compress out too many details?  

Andrew C.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

2/28/2006 3:58 AM
Gibson Guy
Hi Andrew, I have only used A4 a few times, it was pretty goo IMO. It is as you say a bit dry compared to an A5 also the bottom end is not as big. Just a personal note, I was litening to your sound clips, very nice by the way. The hot humbucker near the bottom sounds more like an old PAF than the rest of the others? Maybe its just me. They all sound great but the hotter one is closer to the PAF IMO, not knocking it, sounds great just perplexed as how a 16K hummer can sound near like a PAF. :)  

GG.

2/28/2006 6:04 AM
Lukas

I like your site, but I have problems in viewing it and downloading sound files, too slow, downloads gets broken after while, my first try was 6 hours ago

2/28/2006 8:34 AM
Lukas

It seems to be good now O:-)  
I see you recorded it with Fender HR Dlx, I have this amp, yes it colours sound, itīs clean and bassy (esp. with humbuckers), sounds different than other amps, but I like it and your samples are close to my ears : )

2/28/2006 7:16 AM
Spence

Been using nothing else for PAF replicas for years now. It's worth noting that Gibson's PAF design specified the use of A5 which was unobtainable at the time. So they used the next best thing which was the ready and available A4.  
I couldn't help but feel annoyed when some faceless ass calling himself 'PAF' came on this forum talking rubbish about PAF magnets.....I suspect he didn't want anyone to know the truth.

2/28/2006 11:55 AM
Jon Gundry

My understanding is that Fender was using A5 for Broadcaster, Nocaster, Telecaster neck pickups. If A5 was available in rods, why was it not available in bar magnets? If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

2/28/2006 12:09 PM
Spence

And I will correct you. Alnico V was not commercially available until 1954 regardless of it's shape. That's just the way it is.

Page 1 of 7 Next> Last Page>>