ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Bar magnets

2/13/2006 6:09 PM
Roscoe Bar magnets
Why do all the suppliers seem to have bar magnets magnetized through the lenght. I need some 1/4" x 1/4" x 2" bars charged through the width or thickness in this case. Any ideas?

2/14/2006 2:32 AM
anonymous
Alnico won't hold a charge through anything that thin and magnet suppliers will refuse to do it. If alnico can't hold enough of a charge it will degauss itself down to nothing.....ceramic would be a better idea here, where to get them I don't know.......and even then they would probably be thicker than 1/8 inch

2/14/2006 5:08 AM
Roscoe
I should have been more clear, I was talking about ceramic and it would be 1/4" x 1/4" not 1/8".

2/15/2006 2:21 AM
Dave Stephens
Ooops that was me.....you can't buy these stock from anywhere I know of, magnets like those are used in G&L ASAT pickups, its a custom order if you want something like that, probably have to buy 500 of them.....ask any magnet supplier...

2/15/2006 4:19 AM
Roscoe
That's what I was afraid of.[500 or so min]When I can't buy something I just try to make it myself, no way with magnets though.  
What about changing the direction on a bar magnet that's already charge through its length? I can buy 1/4" x 1/4" charged through the length, just not through the width or thickness.

2/15/2006 11:53 AM
Jesse Greenawalt
Many cheap import strat pickups use this kind of mag too, though the one I have here doesn't have those dimensions - it's 3/8" x 3/16". But I wonder if others might.

2/28/2006 6:57 PM
SK
I have them in a decent qtty.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>